1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Today is day 21... no signs of hatching... :-(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunkistfarm, May 14, 2011.

1. sunkistfarm

sunkistfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Today is day 21 in the incubator. Took the rotator out 3 days ago. They don't show any signs of wanting to hatch. Should I be worried? Do they sometimes wait longer than 21 days? Shouldn't at least some be trying to hatch? Should I hear peeping? There are 40 in there and all looked good when I checked by flashlight @ a week ago...

2. jcfuente51

jcfuente51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    dont u worry some times they can take up to 26 days [​IMG]

what was your tem during incubation? what its now on lockdown?
    what was our humidity durin incubation and what it it now?

did u clibrate your hygrometor?
    and the thermometor?

3. sunkistfarm

Jul 2, 2010
    THe directions on the incubator said keep it at 95.5 for the whole 21 days. To pull the rotator out on day 18 and to pull the second plug from the vent on the top at day 18. I did this....should it have been different? It is a still air incubator.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    ouch ...95.5 is way to low should be 99.5-102 MAX [​IMG] Your hatch is going to be delayed for sure-bump the temp up asap to at least 99.5

5. jcfuente51

Mar 18, 2011
    Quote:u probably ment 99.5 right hehehe

well if u miss typed it tem was good if not u will have a delay of up to 5 days

what a=bout your humidyti what was during incubation and what is it now???

6. sunkistfarm

Jul 2, 2010
    Sorry...meant 99.5. OOps. It was pretty much constant all the time.
    I am not sure on the humidity. The directions just said to keep the moisture rings on the bottom filled all the time - which they were.

7. jcfuente51

Mar 18, 2011
    Quote:humidity its the most important thing after temp if your humidity was way too high your babys would be cover in these clear stuff and they will not be able to pip and they will die fully form just like my babys die these past batch i had 3 weeks a go and if the humidity was way too low i mena under 10% chances are they will shring wrap and drawn [​IMG] its verry importan to have a hygrometor ca;librated b4 you get to know your incuator ... lets keep hopping for a good hatch... did u raice your humidity after lockdown???

8. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

We had some power outages here that delayed our hatches; one chicken egg even hatched at 27 days! I leave the eggs in the incubator for at least 25 days unless they leak or stink. Hope you get fuzzy butts soon!

9. jcfuente51

Mar 18, 2011
    Quote:nothing yet? [​IMG]

10. sunkistfarm

Jul 2, 2010
    Nothing yet. I haven't changed the humidity. Water in the bottom. Should I add wet sponges?

Last edited: May 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by