Today is day 21!!! We see one crack! A few questions..plz look.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 8silkies, Apr 10, 2009.

1. 8silkies

8silkies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    Okay, how long does it take the chick to get out of it's egg? We see a small x shape on one of the eggs, so how much longer do we have to wait ??????? [​IMG]

thnx!

2. LoriAS

LoriAS Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    New Knoxville, Ohio
    Of the eggs that I just had hatch one of them took about 14 hours from the first crack I saw, one took about 8 hours, and one had his first crack yesterday morning when I got up at 7AM and is still working to get out.

I know it is hard, but just find something to do to keep yourself busy [​IMG] ...this could take a while!

Congrats on your first pip!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. 8silkies

Apr 7, 2009
    thnx for letting me know. somewhere i heard it would take 2 to 4 hours, another 6 to 48 hours, so i am just trying to figure it out.... i dont how i will ever wait this long! [​IMG]

4. roosty

roosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Georgia
    Quote:There is ALOT of conflicting information out there. If all was well with the temp and humid. they should hatch just fine. Just wait it out however long it takes. Its worth the wait! [​IMG]

5. LoriAS

LoriAS Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    New Knoxville, Ohio
    It is veerrrryyyy difficult!! [​IMG]

I found numerous things to do AWAY from home...because the waiting is terrible.

Ideas: Grocery shopping, library, take kids to playground, visit friends, pretend the incubator isn't there [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good luck!

Lori

6. 8silkies

Apr 7, 2009
    thanks for the ideas! lol. i will try to keep busy [​IMG] ill keep you updated!

7. 8silkies

Apr 7, 2009
    The chick is out!!!! YAY! It ony took him 3 1/2 hours since the first crack. He seems very healthy. We moved him to the brooder at 11:45. He still won't eat or drink, is this normal???

8. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

They normally don't eat for 2-3 days.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  9. newbiepeepkeeper

newbiepeepkeeper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    Knoxville
    Yay for you!!!!
    I was up until 2 am with my first eggs hatching! I was absolutely enthralled and anxious! I was on BYC making sure I wasn't going to mess it up! [​IMG]

I went to bed hoping everything would go ok, and guess what? It did! LOL I woke up to 2 more babies successfully out of their shells without me smushed up against the plastic window on my bator! [​IMG]

I ended up with 11 out of 14, and I'm still waiting on 3...it's up to God and the natural course now.

The best advice I received was KEEP THE BATOR CLOSED! Resist the urge to open and fuss with anything. The temps are the key, like the other post said. Once I left everything alone [​IMG] they were popping out like crazy!

Keep us posted!

10. 8silkies

Apr 7, 2009
    he has eaten some now, but still wont drink. hes doing really well though. nice and fluffly [​IMG] i put some pics of him. i set all 8 eggs at 9pm so i am guessing the others will hatch later on tonight. he just hatched early i guess. i am praying that the others will all hatch also and will be strong healthy chicks

one question: i took him out of the bator 20 minutes after he hatched ( i did it really quick and the temp or humidity didn't even drop) was that the right thing to do? If not, what should i do with the others chicks when they hatch if they hatch around different times?

i was trying to put pics but i cant figure it out. anyone know how??? once i find out i will post them. thnx!

UPDATE: as i write this i hear more pips! YAY! ill let you know once they hatch.

thanks everyone for your advice and answers. i LOVE this place!!!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by