Today is hatch day and temp went to 140!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shannoniganshens, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Shannoniganshens

Shannoniganshens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    West TX
    So I've hatched chicks dang near every month, all winter, and this is my first trouble, hatching is today, but, I just checked the temp and it was at 140!!!!!! I don't know what happened, I've got it back to normal, did this cook everyone? I'm not going to remove them, just kind of worried now. No one has hatched, moved or made a sound, it wasn't this temp this morning at 7 and I have no idea how long it has been that high!!!! Any comforting stories are welcome [​IMG]

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    [​IMG] Oh no, I really hope it wasn't long enough to do any damage. Keeping my fingers crossed for you [​IMG]

3. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

What kinda bator is it, and what kinda thermostat does it use? Also how far along in your incubation are you?

4. Shannoniganshens

Jul 25, 2010
    West TX
    Hova Bator , fan, the thermometer is the one that came it, mercury filled on some plastic, today is hatch day or tonight is. holds 30 eggs, only have 24 in there. It's done good these last months, I don't know what happened?

5. brandibaby23

brandibaby23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    Did you mean "140" or did you mean to type 104?

6. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I didn't think they would even go that high...

7. brandibaby23

brandibaby23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    Quote:I didn't either.

8. Shannoniganshens

Jul 25, 2010
    West TX
    [​IMG] [​IMG] 104, I should let everyone know, I can say a word backwards perfect also, I am dyslexic , [​IMG] sorry about that everyone , I did put a normal take your temperature thermometer in just a little and it read 99.9 ..................I don't know if that is really trust worthy for a reading, but it did kind of ease my mind as to what was going on in there, temp had gone back to 104, I'm going with the chicks are making this happen, it will be 100% hatch [​IMG] and they will all wake me at 3 in the morning chirping away. I know, such a dreamer. [​IMG]

9. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Well! 104F is definitely not as bad as 140F!!

10. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:Oh my goodness!! I was sitting here thinking "How is the bator not melted?!?!!?!" [​IMG] .... 104 for a short period of time will not usually harm the chicks as it takes a few hours for the internal temp of the egg to get to that temp.. 140 on the other hand, WHOA!!!! Ummm.... I'm not even going to try that one.. [​IMG]

Goddess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by