today is hatch day

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by natron96, Jul 17, 2011.

1. natron96

natron96 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    clarkston washington
    today is hatch day and i have never incubated eggs before and i am not sure what should happen today

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    In an ideal world, you'd hear peeping from inside the eggs, then you'd see small pips or cracks in the shells, near the fat end of the eggs. After a few hours the pips would turn into zips, which is when the chick turns inside the shell and chips a circle round the fat end of the egg. After another few hours, the chicks would finish zipping and would push the ends off the shells and wriggle out.

Of course, it hardly ever happens that they hatch bang on schedule and all at once, so don't worry if nothing happens by the end of the day. Just keep the incubator shut and the humidity levels up and try not to get stressed out by the wait. Good luck with your hatch!

3. natron96

Apr 25, 2011
    clarkston washington
    thank you i dont know how not to get stressed this whole thing has been stressful but thanks for the advice

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The best way not to get stressed is to do lots and lots of incubations. By the time you've figured out how it all works and had a few successful hatches (like, successful cause you KNEW what you were doing was right, not just cause you got lucky!) you'll be able to relax more during incubation and hatching. It's still every bit as exciting, just not so panic-inducing...

5. natron96

Apr 25, 2011
    clarkston washington
    well thank you and i will let everyone know how thing went

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by