Today is hatching day but nothing yet

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shawnnaraye87, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Shawnnaraye87

Shawnnaraye87 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2014
    Hi I am hatching 3 little ducklings and today is hatching day and I don't have any pips or nothing yet. I do catch them wiggling a little. I was just wondering how long from hatch day should I get concerned. I have read everything under the sun about hatching duck eggs but the time frame after hatching day and when to be concerned has varied in my readings and also I thought they would be wiggling around more today.

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    So, is today day 28 then? What breed of duck are they? 28 days is just a ballpark figure (give or take a couple days). If you're still seeing the eggs wiggling around in there (even just a little), they are ok! I wouldn't get worried until maybe day 30. Just be patient, I'm sure you'll see some little pips in there soon! :)

3. Shawnnaraye87

Oct 26, 2014
    Yeah today is 28 days. They are Khaki Campbell's. It's making me a nerves wreck lol

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    I know how you feel! It's always like this the last couple days or so when you're just waiting and watching for something to happen. Just try to focus on other things as much as you can. Otherwise, you'll just go crazy waiting and worrying! ;)

It's also normal for them to rest for long periods during the hatching process, so they will not always be wiggling or peeping once they have pipped. They do one step at a time, then rest for many hours, then continue. Duckling hatching is typically a very long and slow process.

5. Shawnnaraye87

Oct 26, 2014
    Thanks for the info! Also that's another thing, I haven't heard them peeping. I read you can hear them even before they pip.

6. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    You will only hear peeping after they pip internally. That is when they break into the air cell and begin breathing air. However, it can be pretty quiet and muffled sometimes when they haven't externally pipped yet. It sounds like they are alive and doing their thing, so just sit on your hands and let them do it. I know that is the hardest thing in the world to do at this point. [​IMG] The last couple days of incubation I am always a wreck, and forget about getting anything at all done. I just spend all my time with my face plastered to the window of the incubator, willing them to do something. [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Shawnnaraye87

Oct 26, 2014

lol that's what I've been doing. My husband was like are you going to move from that spot anytime today lol

8. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Most likely answer? Nope, not planning on it!! [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Shawnnaraye87

Oct 26, 2014

That was my excite answer lol

10. Shawnnaraye87

Oct 26, 2014