Today is just a no good rotten stinky day!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well it has been raining down here for a good 3 days straight, the cow pastures surrounding us are now lakes.

Ive been doing my best to keep my goats and ducks safe and happy in all this wet muddy weather and it has proven quite difficult.

This morning I thought that my broody buff duck had 9 eggs. Ive been trying to keep count.

Just got home and went outside to try and clean up a little, went to look inside the dog kennel my duck has claimed to raise her batch, everything is a mess.
    Seems the goats decided to kick momma duck out and step all over her nest and spread it everywhere.

I have found that I was wrong in thinking 9 eggs . i have 13!!!

But, thanks to my two goats , I doubt they will come into the world [​IMG](

They were cold, in damp hay. Surrounded by my goats droppings, and Now I am just very very very very very very very upset.

A few eggs were white, some green or with a green tinge, and 2 or 3 looked like tie die, were there was supposedly a duckling inside that was stepped on and turned and now dead

None of the eggs were cracked or crushed, but I now fear that my first experience with a broody duck is ruined [​IMG]

2. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I'm so sorry to hear about the goats trampling your babies-to-be. [​IMG]

Maybe you can still save them? I read where eggs had gotten cold for a while, but still hatched.

3. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I know what you mean about the rain. We had storms all day yesterday with Fay and rain all day today. Yards, coops, pens are a mess. But the sun will come out and it will all dry up. Keep your spirits up.

As far as the eggs, don't give up hope. Nature is an amazing thing. Put the remaining eggs in a nice dry nest somewhere, along with broody mama and pray for the best. Eggs are used to being exposed to nature and life goes on.

4. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I agree with Chicabee. Candle the eggs anyway. My guineas came off their nests when they had 3 keets. Two days later to be sure I removed the old eggs and candled them. There was one fertile egg left with a little thing dancing around inside the egg. I incubated in and 1 1/2 weeks later out popped a little pearl grey baby. So absolutely give it a try.

5. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Definitely let us know if you can save any of them!

[​IMG]
    good (c)luck

6. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    If your anywhere close to me up here in Florence stop by and I'll give you some duck eggs if those don't make it and you still need or want some eggs.

Sorry to here about that.

Jayare

7. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:Sorry to hear about this... I know how you feel, been there done that...[​IMG]

If you have a dry place to put the setting female and the eggs try to get her back on a nest soon as possible..

I"m thinking that you are still good..

I wish you luck.. :aww

8. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks so much everyone for your comfort!

Thanks for the offer Jayare's Chicks, Im located in Montgomery unfortunately, And seeing as my ducks are on my parents property, My Stubborn Mother says the only ducks I can have (besides the current 3 rescues ) are what my buff lays. Im hoping that If they do survive they will be cute enough to keep [​IMG])

She is still laying! I went out there today and she has 15.
    I thought she would stop by now and stay with the ones she has, the nest is getting full!

As for putting the mama and eggs into a safer dryer place ive done the best i can to keep them away from those beastly goats!! All my hay has been ruined, so I used old cleaned out feed bags to line her kennel, and found some dry hay and lined a 2 inch tall by foot wide feed bowl ( one of those tough rubber kind) and placed her eggs in there. She seems to prefer it actually. I placed a half circle concrete garden liner between two water buckets in the doorway, so those goats cant get in.This way she can come and go as she pleases, because as soon as my two drakes see her they go crazy, running to her and then they all make a great big noise!

I am hoping these eggs come through!

My first egg is actually due the 30th , in 2 days that is, and Im hoping that if it has survived it will come before then, because surprise surprise I have to go to Georgia this weekend.

I will keep everyone updated the best I can. My comp has been shutting off on me randomly.

One last thing, I know this is a newbie question but thats ok because I am new to this, haha, well how exactly candle an egg?
    what do I look for?

Has anyone ever had an egg change color?
    It seems a few of my eggs turned green. Im not sure if they are turning bad or not, but even a few newer ones have had a green tint to them, while the rest are white.

9. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Take an egg in to a dark place, I wait till dark, and go into my ducks pen. Hold the flashlight under the egg while you cradle the egg on top of a slightly opened fist, a small type flash light is best. So in one hand you are holding the flash light and the other is cradling the egg over the flash light.You will see veins and movement, or all black and a big air sack, you might see the ducks beak moving to break the air sack.
    If your eggs are bad, they will have an odor to them, the egg will look whiteish with a black liquid looking stuff on the inside. Keep us posted!
    Brenda

10. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks! Ill do that tomorrow night, since I am in for the night, Ill post pics of my full nest as well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by