Today is lock down, QUICK, is this embryo dead????????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by minnehaha, Mar 9, 2015.

1. minnehaha

minnehaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    Today is lock down, I don't want to see an egg-xplosion. Does this embryo look dead? I did not see any movement.

[​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How does the amount of "fill" in the egg compare to your other eggs? At this stage, the chick should be taking up all of the space that is not air cell. What do your others look like? Can you look for candling threads for comparison? Can you show a pic? Is this your first hatch? I'm wondering if your temp has been a bit low, if they all look like this. I wish I could give you more to go on, Perhaps some one else will jump in here and help you out.

3. minnehaha

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    Hi, thanks for responding. The egg is completely filled with chick, just like the other 11, but the other 11 lack the black that this one has in it. The rest have bright red veins, brown colors, no black.

Sorry I gave so little to go on. This is my 4th incubator hatch, plus I've had 2 broody hatches.

I was away all afternoon, and got home a little bit ago. I had not put that egg in the lock down incubator yet, and decided to look at it one more time. I thought I saw movement, hopefully it was not my imagination.

I had compared pictures and saw maybe one or 2 that looked like mine....I have very little hope, but I would hate to do an eggtopsy and find a live chick in it...So, to be safe, rather than sorry I put it in lock down. After hatch I'll update this, maybe it will help someone sometime.

Now we shall not open it again until the hatch is complete! Hopefully no egg explosions...[​IMG]

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Maybe this egg has a black chick in it, and the others are lighter colored?

5. RachelLeigh

RachelLeigh Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2015
    Hi. I think it looks dead. I have candled every egg Ive ever tried to hatch and it looks like it died a few days ago, judging from the size of the air cell. But if you are on lockdown, and you hold the light for long enough very still, you should see some kind of movement even if its is slight. At lockdown you should see lots of veins still.

6. ArturS

ArturS New Egg

Jan 28, 2015
    Bridgewater,NJ
    How about float(water)test?Work with fbcm .i'd save 3 of them[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  7. minnehaha

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    LOL....I had not thought of this and you could be right!!!

8. minnehaha

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    Yes, I saw lots of veins in the other 11, this one was different. I'll try watching it for a long time to see if it rumbles a little. Thanks....I'll update..

9. minnehaha

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    They are already in lock down....I have never done the float test before either, but It seems like lots of people are doing that test. I'll have to learn how to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by