Today is lockdown, UPDATE: 2 hatched

dragonchick

Crowing
15 Years
Sep 30, 2007
The 4 replacement eggs have been locked down even though it should have been done yesterday. Humidity has been holding between 35 to 40% for the past 18 days, temp has been between 99.9 and 101.3 degrees. If I have the same problems as last time with non hatching and the single chick with the unclosed abdomen, I will not be incubating until the weather stabilizes. I had to turn the AC on due to the 100 degree ambient temps but the incubator has been holding steady. Saturday is day 21 and these eggs have not been touched since they were placed in the incubator on the 6th. I have not candled them at all as I wanted to give them the best chance. I took them out of the turner and laid them beside it as I had took all but 2 rails out for this purpose. This incubator was sterilized before setting the eggs, the other will be used as a temporary brooder should any eggs hatch. Other than that the incubator with the eggs will not be opened until next Wednesday or Thursday to remove any duds. Hopefully at least 1 egg will hatch and the chick survive.

Last edited:
Did you up your humidity for the lockdown? Should be at least 60% to make it easier for the chicks to break through the membrane and shell. Good luck
fl.gif

The humidity is coming up as I type. I am keeping a very, very close eye on it so it doesn't get too high.It stayed too high with the last attempt due to all the storms that came through.The outside humidity is 84% but the humidity inside the incubator was at 40% when I started lock down. I put 2 wet sponges in with the eggs but didn't add any water to the wells. The humidity is now 60%. The temp dropped a little(97 degrees) because I unplugged the turner and its motor no longer supplies heat. I turned the temp up a tiny bit to compensate and is now 99.5.

I didn't candle the eggs because I didn't want to handle them overly much.

Sounds like you're good to go! Hope they come through for you. What breed are you hatching? My very first lock down will be this Sunday, and I can't wait!! 21 days seems like an eternity!

These are mutts eggs that I got from a different local supplier. I was not sure if it was the eggs or my technique that caused the previous 2 sets of eggs to fail. She only had 4 eggs so 4 eggs is what I set. 3 of the eggs are brown and 1 is white so what I will get is anybody's guess. This new supplier has some really good looking birds who are very healthy.

ya.gif
:ya:ya I woke up a little while ago to 2 fuzzy butts running around in the bator. There are still 2 eggs that have not hatched but they still may.I kept the temps on the low side of normal and the humidity was raised to 60% at lockdown. I only used 2 wet sponges to raise it.I didn't put any water in the wells.This was a basically set it and forget it hatch. I set the eggs on the 6th, and left them alone.I didn't open the the bator at all until the evening of the 24th when I remembered lock down was suppose to be the day before on the 23rd. I quickly stuffed the 2 sponges and laid the eggs down beside the turner, which I had previously removed all but 2 rails, closed the bator and left it alone. I still have not opened it hoping to give the remaining 2 eggs a chance to hatch. I will wait until Tuesday the 29th before calling the hatch complete. 50% is a good hatch rate considering the past 2. I will get pictures as soon as I can.

Back
Top Bottom