Today is Martin Luther King day

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rainplace, Jan 17, 2010.

1. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

His last speech:

Part of his "I Have a Dream" speech.

[​IMG]
    Bloodstained balcony of Lorraine Motel, where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was gunned down by assassin.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Working a full day tomorrow.

3. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    all of the kids are out of school...after being out part of last week.
    [​IMG]

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:*pound it*

Me too.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I'm off. I would rather have Presidents Day off though....

6. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    my husband is working too.
    [​IMG] maybe he can take all the kids with him.

7. phoenixmama

phoenixmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    He was a great man. It's nice that we have a day to remember him...not so nice that the only reason some like the day is that they might get out of work. That's a shame.

On a side note...a few local schools have starting calling it "Civil Rights Day". I LOVE THAT! What a great way to frame the celebration around what Martin Luther King Jr. really stood for. I think he would have liked that too.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Me too.

I'll have people coming out of the woodwork trying to get in tomorrow, especially with the rain. It will be a long day. 7:30AM to 6PM. I think I'm taking Wednesday off. Hope Imax at AZ Mills has some seats for Avitar open that day.

9. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Quote:That's excellent. I'm taking part in a short march and then tabling at an event that's angled to promote rights and tolerance for all.

10. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I'm in my 40's and it wasn't that long ago that I actually listened to the entire "I have a dream" speech. I knew who Martin Luther King Jr. was, but hadn't ever taken the time to educate myself about the civil rights movement. My DCFS caseworker when I was a ward of the state of Illinois, once told me what it was like during the Chicago riots of 1968-1969. She didn't particularly like white people, and she wanted me to know why. I sorta understood, but not really.

It wasn't until my son started asking me about stuff he was learning during black history month that together we began educating ourselves. I encourage anyone home today to do the same. I agree with the day being called "Civil Rights" day, and you're right, I think Martin Luther King would approve.

Oh, and if you haven't listened to his last speech... it is prophetic, he knew his time had come and he'd done all he could do for his people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by