Today is my sister's memorial service

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by gritsar, Jul 11, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Today is my half-sisters memorial service in Colorado. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about it.

She passed away more than a month ago. I don't know all the details but from what I've gathered the memorial service was postponed because she wanted her ashes spread on Pikes Peak so the service was weather dependent.

I was upset when she passed, though not distraught. We weren't close. The last time I saw her was at our mom's funeral more than 17 years ago. Neither am I close to the two half-sisters that are able to attend the service today.

I feel like I should be grieving today, as my half-sisters are, but I'm not. Is that normal?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] That's normal. The degree of loss is directly proportional to the degree of "closeness." [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG] for having your own feelings, and owning that you aren't grieving..... When you aren't.

*I* think it's normal. It would be for me, under those circumstances.

Then again, not sure I am all that normal... But I think one of us is in good company, anyway. You choose which one of us it is.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That's normal.

When my mom died, there was nothing my dad, brother or I could do, so we went fishing.

(I got my sense of humor from her, I'm sure she laughed)

When the funeral home lost her body, we just figured she was on vacation.

(She always wanted to travel more)

You are grieving in your own way.

Imp

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Totally normal. I know I don't cry for people I'm not close to. I do feel bad for them, or their families, but I don't feel grief really for some people. A relative can just be an aquaintance really, if you don't see them much.

Just my humble opinion.....

6. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Imp, you crack me up, What a wonderful family!

Grit, Completely normal. [​IMG]

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:X2.. what he said.
    Theres no right or wrong way to feel. [​IMG]

8. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Who cares how you are SUPPOSED to feel about it. It's how you do feel about it that counts.

I've been really torn up about certain people passing that I did not think I was that close to, yet others I thought I'd care more about, I did not. Each one of us is different and our relationship with different people, relative or not, is different.

On another topic, I think I've figured out why everything is so dizzy around your home.

As a matter of fact, the world DOES revolve around my German Shepherds

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:

But it does! If the boys ain't happy, nobody's happy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by