Today is the big day

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pats Poultry, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Pats Poultry

Pats Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2016
    Colorful Colorado
    Going to put my 3, 7 weeks old chicks in the coop today WOOOOO HOOOOO. I am ready for them to be outside and I am sure they are ready to get out of our dinning room to a bigger space. When we first got them at 1 week old I was going to man up and put them out in the coop with the "Blooie" heating pad mama. Well that lasted all of one night due to me not sleeping and worrying all night about them being out in the cold so I wimped out and brought them back in the house. Please don't take my man card from me. [​IMG] I have been taking them outside everyday for the past month trying to get them a little bit acclimated to the cold, and man has it been cold here lately. Below zero the last couple of nights but will be only down to the high 20's for the next few nights. Hopefully they are ready for the early bed time being out there. I don't know if it is a big day for me or the chicks. And here we go.

2. PapaBear4

PapaBear4 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2014
    Maryland
    Great! As long as they've got their feathers and they're out of the direct weather they should be fine. Let us know how it goes!

3. chippy99th

chippy99th Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Wow, that is cold!! No judgment for wanting to keep them out of that! Around here a night in the 40's is really cold, and mine still have a heat lamp. I didn't even know you could have chicks out in weather that cold!

4. Pats Poultry

Pats Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2016
    Colorful Colorado
    They seen to be liking it in their run, It took them a while to come out of the coop as they just looked out the pop door for about 45 minutes. One of them got brave and came down the ramp and the other two followed. They have been exploring every sq inch of the run. The run is covered with the same metal roofing that we used for the coop so they are out of the weather even out in the run. All 3 of them do have all of there feathers. The two smaller ones still have a tad bit of fluff on there heads but mostly feathered. Hopefully this will go well as all four(me and 3 chickens) of us are really excited about them being out and acting like chickens. 45 degrees out now and I feel like dawning a pair of shorts.

5. chippy99th

chippy99th Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Meanwhile 70 degrees and sunny here in AZ and I'm in sweats with a blanket. Well it sounds like they're having a lot of fun! Moving outside IS a big day! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by