Today is the day!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ZooAtHome, May 22, 2019.

1. ZooAtHome

ZooAtHome Songster

Jun 7, 2018
    NW Oregon
    My twelve chicks now range from 6-8 weeks old. They have been off heat for at least a couple weeks now and even the two youngest are fully feathered. They are also getting crowded in the brooder that looked so huge (4'x4'x2') when I got them back in April. Weather is looking good for the next few days. Warm but not hot, little or no rain. I do believe the time has come to move the girls (& two guys) out to their coop.

Coop and run are finished and as secure as I can make them, except for the apron and rain gutter, both of which I hope to finish up today. The chickens will be restricted to the coop at first anyway, so the apron will definitely be in place before they start accessing the run. Rain gutter is strictly for my convenience, so no worries there.

I am excited and more than a little nervous. I feel I've done a good job building a secure home for them, but still worry I might have overlooked something. In spite of that, I do feel they are ready ... even if I am not. :hmm They are healthy and seem happy, but don't really enjoy being in the brooder any more. Everyone quickly flies out to sit on the top whenever I open it and I have to urge them to go back in when I need to close it back up. My fluffy babies aren't babies any more, but rather youngsters ready to enter their next phase of life. Yes, it is definitely time.

Just a nervous new mom trying to reassure herself as she takes a big step with her first chickens. Wish us luck!

2. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

You'll be fine! Just don't listen to the sad peeps the first night out and you'll have the worst part conquered.:)

3. I do wish you luck. Moving my birds out of the brooder was surprisingly hard to do but i have to say they love it in their roomier place. I have just started the next steo which is to let a few of them out of their runs into the yard when i am there. Scary too but they love that!

4. ZooAtHome

ZooAtHome Songster

Jun 7, 2018
    NW Oregon
    In other words, I should mute the camera I put in there to keep an eye on them? :p

5. Chickassan

Oh lord yes! :gig

6. The Chicken Whisperer

The Chicken Whisperer Songster

Jul 4, 2018
    They do sound awfully sad, but when you go look at them they'll be running around like the happiest chicks on the planet! That's what happened for me, at least!

7. tpatricco

tpatricco Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    Warren, NJ
    Good luck tonight! We have our first flock of 6 in the brooder now - they're 2-4 weeks old so we've got a little while to go before the coop. My husband already asked for a coop cam - which I plan to get him for Father's Day...what kind do you have?

8. ZooAtHome

ZooAtHome Songster

Jun 7, 2018
    NW Oregon
    I use the Reolink C2 Pro. I like it because it has night vision and pan/tilt/zoom capabilities, allowing me to see almost the entire coop, including nest boxes, with just a single camera. (Less than one square foot, right below the camera is not visible to me.) It can also be connected via LAN cable or WiFi and you can record from it to an NVR (network video recorder) or onto a micro SD card. Extremely versatile little camera for the price. It's the same one I use in the brooder and it has worked flawlessly, in spite of relentless pecking and pooping from the chicks. I think they resent the "shiny eye" always watching them. :lau

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LH2RS77/?tag=backy-20

It is an "indoor" camera though, so it does need protection from the elements. I have an outdoor, less feature rich camera for monitoring the outside of the coop and the run.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    tpatricco and Chickassan like this.
  9. Chickassan

Inspiration. This is my latest brood of 8, five girls 3 boys. They've been sleeping in the coop since they were about 5 weeks.
    They are 7 weeks now and today is their second day running free in the yard. The sad peeping is over, the only hurdle now is fear of squirrels.;) 20190522_112544.jpg 20190522_112537.jpg

Ghosty, tpatricco and ZooAtHome like this.
  10. tpatricco

tpatricco Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    Warren, NJ
    Wow. I'm amazed at the difference between my 4-5 week olds and those - enormous change!

Chickassan likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: