TODAY IS THE DAY!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by knynrstylvr222, May 6, 2008.

1. knynrstylvr222

knynrstylvr222 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    After I posted my last message I heard her start to peep, and now she has pipped!!!!![​IMG] I will keep everyone updated and have pics later when she hatches!!! Im soooooooooooooooooooo excited I didnt think she was gonna pip at all and now here we are!!!!!!!!!!! I cant contain my excitement!!

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Sending good hatch vibes your way... [​IMG]

3. knynrstylvr222

May 5, 2008
    Thanks hope they work I cant believe all the noise she is making!!! she sounds healthy I guess not that I would really know its my first one!![​IMG]

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Well, Hot Dog!!...Just leave her alone and let her do her thing!!...remember it can take 24 hours from her pipping to zipping out!!...

5. knynrstylvr222

May 5, 2008
    Ok, im gonna wait maybe not patiently but I will wait. LOL I couldnt believe it shes actually giving it a shot!! Is it normal for her to make soo much noise??

6. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yes, she wants out of there!!...Talk to her...it really helps them if they hear noise or peeping...gives them something to come out and see!!...

When she hatches she will be fluttering all over so don't worry about that..she will flop and rest and flop some more....takes a toll on them coming out and she will rest and fluff up...usually takes a full day to fluff up nicely...

You have a place or brooder to keep her ready?..She will need temps of 95 under a heat bulb...(I use a 100 watt bulb in the house) to keep her warm the first week in a brooder box...a waterer with marbles so she won't drown and chick starter/grower for feed...a feather duster laid in the brooder will help keep her calm or quiet she will think its another chick or momma hen....

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm so excited for you!!! Let us all know when she is here! [​IMG]

8. knynrstylvr222

May 5, 2008
    Quote:I bought food at Tractor supply it is the chick starter, and did know about the water with marbles in it but thanks. I have a big cardboard box as a brooder, and I also bought some bird little that is not wood cause I heard they may try to eat their bedding so this is kinda like shred paper but fluffier its from Petsmart. I think that is about all I have right now, I will prolly get out tomorrow and I can pick up a feather duster. Anything to keep her relatively quiet cause we arent allowed to have animals in our dorm. (SHhhhhhhh). If she is a little noisy my roommate and I decided we will just keep the radio or TV on to kind of muffle the sound. LOL Is there anything else you think I should have? I have the lamp too I almost forgot it is the same one I have been using to keep my "incubator" warm.
    Thanks a bunch

9. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Use paper towels or puppy pads for her bedding for the first week or longer since she is a lone chick [​IMG]...helps to keep her legs under her so she won't be slipping around and get spaddle legged...

She will chirp alot being alone...the feather duster will help...

You know this will turn out to be a roo since we are calling it a she right? [​IMG]

10. knynrstylvr222

May 5, 2008
    Ok, then we need to call it he from now on cause i want a hen:) Roos are too noisy and im not sure the lady who might take her when shes grown up wants a roo. Ok, I will get some puppy pads cause I have to go to the store tomorrow anyway thanks. Will the hole/pip start to get bigger as the day goes on? or when HE's ready to hatch will it just zip from that one little spot??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by