Today my hen lost almost all her back feathers!! She's bald!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KayP, Dec 18, 2010.

1. KayP

KayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    [​IMG] Is it too late to molt? Do I have to worry about her freezing? It has been 20 -40 degrees around here. I tried to put a cloth around her today, but she was so hilariously pathetic we took it off. She was walking backward and sideways crashing into everything, and then crouching down at a weird angle and staying very still. My son took pity on her and took it off. At first, this morning, I figured since they had been coop bound from the cold (their choice) they were getting bored and one of the others pecked her back, but when I put the cloth on the feathers were just falling off at a gentle touch! Any advice?

2. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    Do you have a rooster? They will sometimes do this to a favorite hen. If she is as bad as you say I would separate her. And if there is no roo as she is probably getting picked on by the others. Molt could be a possibility but I doubt it this late in winter.

3. KayP

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nope, there's no rooster. And there are no broken feathers, they just seem to be falling out! I don't think anyone's pecking her. If she decided to molt, what is she thinking?!!!

4. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    How old is she? I'm guessing from your post there isn't any blood? Is the skin hot to the touch or swollen?

Maybe you could get her a saddle and or wing protectors (from the lady that sells them) www.chickensaddlesanddiapers.webs.com Ihave no connection with her, but she comes highly recommended on another Chicken list (through Yahoo). Of course if it is an ill timed molt, this will only be the beginning.

Keep us posted.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  5. KayP

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    She's 2 1/2 years old. Her back isn't extra red or hot and there's no blood. I suspect it's as you said, an ill-timed molt. I just hope she stays warm while her feathers grow back. I plan to get her some salt free cottage cheese today. What other food speeds feather growth? Someone on here said suet works, but isn't that all fat? Doesn't make sense to me...

6. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I remember reading that plain (unsalted) sardines and tuna were good protein foods for growing feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by