Today my rooster atack my 8 week old hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FarmerJim2, May 7, 2011.

1. FarmerJim2

FarmerJim2 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    the rooster bite the baby neck and tried to snap its neck . so i left the big roo out coop tonight[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Maybe your baby isn't a hen?

3. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    the baby is a barred rock roo. he doesn't want any competition.

4. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    Who is the roo and who is the hen? They both look like roos to me. I have a barred rock cockerel and he isn't always the nicest guy. He always seems to be starting ruckus. How old are they? The Barred Rock looks fairly young. Other is hard to tell since the pic is close up and a bit fuzzy.

5. lady feathers

lady feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2010
    I wouldn't put my chickens together until they were nearly full grown.... I too think you have a barred rock roo!

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Yes, I've had to put roo's out on occassion. Now I know when I've introduced hens about that age there may have been some very mild aggression just because the young ones were strangers and they didn't recognize his authority (a quick peck or a short chase). But it wasn't a persistent, prolonged attack. Sounds like you are wise to be careful.

7. FarmerJim2

FarmerJim2 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    the frist pic is 9/week old and the other pic was a 1 year old I got up this moring and decide to mange my flock off with his head the. I have 2 year old long horn he is the king and 14 babies [​IMG]

8. Justuschicks

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    uhhh where is my magnifying glass. [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You have a baby Barred Rock rooster. The big rooster was attacking the competition. Some roosters will leave baby roosters alone till they are older, but some will not.

10. Justuschicks

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    When I introduced my baby BR roo to my chick pen, I took notes. He told me which were roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by