Today on Chicken TV...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Billy Hill, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Billy Hill

Billy Hill Chirping

Jul 16, 2013
    Rural San Diego
    My 4 birds are 3 months old and they're not shy about the dog or (3) cats. They often walk right up to the dog while they're free ranging in the back yard and he just stares at them with a dopy, happy look on his face and tries to sniff their butts when they turn around.

The cats haven't payed any attention to them. Until today.

Fatty, the best hunter of the 3 (brought down more than one full sized rabbit), was walking past me washing dog and headed towards the chickens, not looking at them but straight ahead towards the deck. She went within about 2 feet of them and stopped just past them, ignoring them.

The birds kept scratching at the ground heading towards the cat and she became nervous, tilting her head and looking at them. After about 30 seconds they had almost surrounded her, something I've seen them do to dog as they walk past him. Not sure what prompted it but one chicken got within about 4 inches of Fatty and she freaked and hit the eject button and launched herself about 2 feet straight up in the air then bolted about 10 yards away and looked around to see if anyone saw her.

I LMFAO out loud and the chickens kept on keeping on, scratching and eating bugs.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  2. txnative

txnative Chirping

Apr 30, 2013
    Kempner, Texas
    Funny!

3. Billy Hill

Billy Hill Chirping

Jul 16, 2013
    Rural San Diego
    This is great. Tonight just as the sun was going down I had them out for a last minute feast and they all froze. Not a peep for like a minute or more. I knew there was something up but had no idea what. I thought maybe a snake in the fresh pile of oak cutoffs right there but suddenly they all darted right for the pile and took cover. A second later a red tail hawk came out of another oak and swooped down about 20 feet from the girls. The cats, the dog AND myself were clueless it was there until it took flight but the chickens knew. I was just getting comfortable with them being out there for a few minutes by themselves, too.

I obviously started putting them away but one didn't want to go and ran right under the dog who was kind of helping me herd them! Just like Gilligan in that episode where he had the dream about the goose and the golden egg, where there was a giant Skipper and he was running away and ran between Skipper's legs! True Chicken TV!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  4. JanetS

JanetS Songster

Jun 22, 2012
    This is why so many people have chickens. They are too cute. Thanks for sharing.

5. chynasparks

chynasparks Songster

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    I just love chicken TV. I just uploaded the completed cattle panel run into my album. Using phone so it seems I can't upload to this comment box. Anyway this run was long over due and my peeps are loving it. I can't free range them so I will be moving the run around the yard

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: