Today one of our Muscovys laid and egg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Miss Lydia, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Never ever have I gotten an egg this early in the 81/2 yrs I have had ducks. What is it, temps, daylight lengthening or combination of both. last year we had eggs in early March which was very early but I am amazed at the girls this year in dead of winter. Only thing I can think of is the temps we were having which started mating so early. I was just saying to Going Quackers yesterday how unusual it was for her to be getting eggs already and she's in Canada.

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Yay. Mine aren't the only crazy girls!

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    [​IMG] Too much ML! have our ducks spoken? i got two eggs yesterday, another today.. this is NUTS! I also got a starter egg yesterday so it must be chocolate ripple as she's 7mths old.

The madness must.stop. [​IMG]

4. Patty43

Patty43 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2012
    My one duck started laying this week also. They are almost nine months old. I kind of thought they might start in early spring. Are they ok to eat with the temp being so cold. What would happen if they froze outside before you brought it in. The egg is layed in the duck house that is totally insulated, but always feels very cold when I pick it up. Do you think it would be safe to eat.

5. Valntyn

Valntyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Central Maine
    Lucky, lucky!! I actually had to... *gulp* ... BUY eggs yesterday. Wah wah. [​IMG]

Patty43: I can't see why not! (Someone with more experience will jump in if I'm wrong, hopefully!) I've picked up ice-covered eggs from outside our coop and they were just fine to eat.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    As long as they haven't froze and cracked open the are safe to eat. this one was very cold but we got up to 36 today .so it didn't freeze.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I may have to set up the game camera and see who is going into the little coop thats where I found the egg. Laying eggs this early, well you know what that means, they'll be a broody duck following close behind. I'm already discouraging some of my hens from being broody this time of year. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Probably a good idea with the temps you get there.

9. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Congrats, Lydia!!

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    They'll be fine i actually cook them up for the chickens right now [​IMG] I did have one crack the other day however...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by