Today Sal goes to his new home :(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by cindy99, Jul 30, 2010.

1. cindy99

cindy99 Songster

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    Today Sal (formerly know as Sally) goes to his new home. He is used to roaming the yard (65 acres) and now he will be kept in a (very large) pen. I just feel terrible. He is just not getting along with Henry. I can't have them fighting - it would break my heart if one of them got hurt. Sal is being so sweet today - letting me scratch his beak... it's like he knows. Am I a baby? I have been crying over a chicken! At least I know where he is going. He will be with another rooster though and I am worried about them getting along. [​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:I would worry about this also. My cockerels do not get along with "new" cockerels in my grow out pens. I have to clear the pen of cockerels before putting the next batch in.

Could you build him his own place at your house (65 acres gives you a bit of room)? We are on 11 and I have two cockerel pens right now plus my "regular" chicken house and a banty house. The cockerels do not freerange, so I try and give them a bit of space, but with just him you could even give him a couple hens and he would be in heaven.

[​IMG]

3. cindy99

cindy99 Songster

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    Both roosters - mine and the other will be new there today. Do you think that will help?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  4. HorseFeatherz NV

Personally, no. Well maybe. If they are both "mature", they are going to fight to establish pecking order. Sometimes neither roo will give ground and they “argue” until exhausted and/or one has perished. Or one roo is cornered and the aggressor does not stop. Not always will they argue like this, being as this is “new” territory – if they are both let out together but ugh.

I am sure others have done this and had little to no problem. But I would not.

I do not mean to alarm or upset you…….just give you my little look into the cockerel/roo world. I have a pen of 3 who grew up together - will be a year in October. Two of them sometimes argue and I have to pull them apart and keep them apart for the day (I have a timeout pen in that pasture). It has condemned one of them to freezer camp the next time I get everything set up - I cannot take the chance that they should start sometime when I am gone - I would never forgive myself if my favorite cockerel was killed.

5. cindy99

cindy99 Songster

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    That is kind of where I am at... I would feel so bad if something happened while I was gone. We are so new to all of this. I just can't keep them both. The only other option for Sal was a farmer who would take him and send him to freezer camp. I wanted to try this route first. The other rooster that is going today is going from my mothers house - she also ended up with an extra rooster. They were babies together and have only been seperated from each other for a couple of weeks. My hope is that they remember each other and how well they got along before. I will be able to call and check on him. If they are fighting - maybe I can think of a way to take him back and keep him seperate. It will not make my husband (or my checkbook) very happy to have to build him his own coop! Right now - my large coop is cut in half with babies on one side and the older chickens on the other. Ugh. What a mess this turned out to be. [​IMG]

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger 10 Years

i have a lot of chickens, many are roos and many run the yard. I only have like 2 acres, and although their are the occasional tussles.... most get along eventually.

7. cindy99

cindy99 Songster

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    He is in the box and on his way to his new home. He bit me good before he left... made it a little easier for me. My yard seems so quiet without him.

UPS stopped and dropped off my camera - we will now have the "chicken channel" on our tv. [​IMG] Although - now one less chicken to watch...

8. HorseFeatherz NV

I am sure they will do fine and gladly prove me wrong [​IMG] They all are individuals.

Not only is your yard quiet but your girls and remaining roo are so-o-o happy [​IMG] And there is less stress for you, waiting for the next feather dust-up.

It does make it easier when they are nippy like that [​IMG]

Most of my cockerels/roos who grow up with each other are fine, a tussle here/there. But every once in a while, just like people, they have a falling out that cannot be mended.

9. cindy99

cindy99 Songster

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    Part of the problem was that I only have one girl their age! 1 girl + 2 roosters = chicken stress! The other 2 have paired off nicely - Sal was left out and didn't like it one bit. I was hoping that we would be ok until the baby girls were big enough to be with the roosters. It just didn't work out that way.

Thank you both for your input! I am learning so much here and really appreciate all of the advice / experience and it is nice to have a place to just "talk". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: