Today was the day!!!

Pics

BrandonVercnocke

Songster
Jul 31, 2018
Longview, Washington
4675923A-87EC-4957-B842-CBE35FC18EB2.png

22 week old mixed flock. Almost positive it was my blue Australorp.

Now we are waiting at home to catch the next one. I’m thinking tomorrow but my husband thinks she will lay today. How common is it to start laying consistently right away?
It's one of those things. Unpredictable. I got 4 eggs today. One was frozen probably laid before or soon after midnight. Down to -20F last nite. But I went out about 15:00 and had another from one of my SLW. It was cold but not frozen. I can tell the SLW as their eggs are much smaller. I don't usually look for an egg afternoon. My BO and ISAB lay over night or early morning. Say around 9-10. I'll have to remember to check after noon. Good luck if they lay everyday lucky you if they don't Mother Nature might be involved.

So....she laid another one BUT she laid it from the roost bar and it broke. Seeing where the egg was yesterday it looks like she laid the other one from up there as well. We just rearranged the coop so now they only have one low roost. Hopefully this works.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 24
Congratulations.
My Pullets started to lay in the nests. I had fake ceramic eggs in the nests for over a month.
The first girl started to lay on January 2nd.
But you'll get some laid from the roosts overnight. I found a Pullet egg under the roosts at 5 am yesterday.
A couple of girls in my first Flock laid from the roosts for weeks before settling down. But i still find an egg under the roosts occasionally 2 1/2 years later. The Hens and Pullets have separate coops. GC

Back
Top Bottom