Today we remember our fallen heroes.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mahonri, May 31, 2010.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It is the
    VETERAN,
    not the preacher,
    who has given us freedom of religion.

It is
    the VETERAN,
    not the reporter,
    who has given us freedom of the press.

It is
    the VETERAN,
    not the poet,
    who has given us freedom of speech.

It is
    the VETERAN,
    not the campus/community organizer,
    who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is
    the VETERAN,
    not the lawyer,
    who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is
    the VETERAN,
    not the politician,
    Who has given us the right to vote.

God bless our founders who wrote and protected the Constitution of the United States of America! A document inspired by Almighty God!

Thank you Dear Lord for those who have died that we might enjoy the few freedoms that still remain.

Fly your flag and remember what it stands for.

Have a blessed Memorial Day fellow BYC Members.

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Ooooooooh Rah!!

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thanks Mahonri! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    http://www.ksfy.com/news/local/95236859.html

click
    the watch video.. my brother is at the end of the video. (he's the short one)

please keep my brother's best friend Shane in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow. His story is in the video, but those stupid newscasters made is mistake. he was NOT a marine, he was in the Army.

R.I.P. Shane! you are missed by your wife, children, friends, teammates, my brother, and family <3

5. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Please remember the ones that gave you the freedom to be on BYC and to communicate to whomever,whereever and whatever you'd like.
    [​IMG]

THIS is the American Flag.
    Fight for it.
    [​IMG]

Thanks Mahonri

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    This picture say's it all, how those of us who served we have a certain connection with each other, a brotherhood if you will.

AL

[​IMG]

7. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:this is so true.certain things i see gives me chills(like that photo).i tear up at the national anthem(i am a girl-hormones?)

this story may be out of place but i know the ones reading this thread will understand.

when i was in the army in 1992,another soldier and i were in line at McDs in uniform on our way back from training.someone tapped me on the shoulder and i turned around to see an old man behind me.his wife came up and said that he would be honered to buy our lunch.at first we said "that is very kind but that's o.k."his wife said "just please let him buy you lunch,it will make him happy".we said ok.he paid and stood there with us while we got our lunch.he never said a word.we said thank you and walked to our table and he walked with us.when we got to our table his wife said thank you and the man spoke to his wife in something i didn't understand.she said that he just wanted to say thank you and the happiest day in his life was when he saw american soldiers coming. the old man lifted his sleeve.there,on his forearm i saw the tatoo number from the concentration camp he was in.i had chills everywhere.he shook our hand,or rather we shook his,and he waved goodbuy with tears in his eyes.needless to say i had tears as well.

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:this is so true.certain things i see gives me chills(like that photo).i tear up at the national anthem(i am a girl-hormones?)

this story may be out of place but i know the ones reading this thread will understand.

when i was in the army in 1992,another soldier and i were in line at McDs in uniform on our way back from training.someone tapped me on the shoulder and i turned around to see an old man behind me.his wife came up and said that he would be honered to buy our lunch.at first we said "that is very kind but that's o.k."his wife said "just please let him buy you lunch,it will make him happy".we said ok.he paid and stood there with us while we got our lunch.he never said a word.we said thank you and walked to our table and he walked with us.when we got to our table his wife said thank you and the man spoke to his wife in something i didn't understand.she said that he just wanted to say thank you and the happiest day in his life was when he saw american soldiers coming. the old man lifted his sleeve.there,on his forearm i saw the tatoo number from the concentration camp he was in.i had chills everywhere.he shook our hand,or rather we shook his,and he waved goodbuy with tears in his eyes.needless to say i had tears as well.

Wonderful story.................. and anti war people wonder why we do fight for freedom, this is why !!!!!!!!
    War is a terrible thing but nessesary to preserve and protect our way of life for our families. When I returned from war I never wanted to go back, but was proud I did and will never regret my choice.

AL

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Not not hormones, I get a lump in my throat too. I read a story in Reader's Digest about the National Anthem. It was about how it was written by Francis Scott Key in the Baltimore harbor. After capturing Washington DC, the Britsh headed to Baltimore. The battle rage on all through the night, but come morning the Americans still held on to the fort. On it's flag pole The Star Spangled Banner was still flying!

http://www.solcomhouse.com/nationalanthem.htm

Another song that gets me is "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood. Brings me to tears every time!

10. WV_Hillbilly70

WV_Hillbilly70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Nashville, Indiana
    I'm a 22+ year Army Vet...18 months till retirement!!!!! TAPS tears me up so bad...been to far too many of those types of services...Wife is also a Vet..last night she was outside and I was inside and we we're both watcing the start of the Coke600 in Charlotte, NC and as part of the pre-race ceremony they played TAPS...I was cooking dinner and froze... after it was over she walked in the door wiping her eyes and said "TAPS always gets me", then she noticed the tears on my cheeks, and I said "me too baby, me too...not too many people would get that".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by