1. kev_kansas

kev_kansas Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2011
    im thinking about starting to build a homemade chicken brooder if you got any ideas let me know looking for all the help i can get [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Christine21656

Christine21656 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2010
    Oakdale, MN/Somerset, WI
    I just started one today! [​IMG] Honestly, I went to Menards looking for ideas lol I just got some 2x2's, chicken wire (I have some screen laying around that I can put around the bottom), and a piece of 2'x4' plywood. I'm sure it would have been cheaper to use a 4'x8' piece and cut it, but I only have a hand saw, and I really didn't want to do that [​IMG] I cut 6 pieces at 4', and 8 pieces at 21" (So they fit between the 4' sections, and the plywood will still cover the bottom). I made a frame with those, and then my drill died [​IMG][​IMG] I Will be attaching the chicken wire on the outside of the frame, then the plywood on the bottom. I got some vinyl flooring for free, and that will cover the bottom, and a few inches up the sides. I also framed in the top, so I can put hinges on it. I didn't explain that very well. I will take pics when I am done! Have fun, and happy building!

Oh, I have also read that you can use a plastic bin or cardboard box, with some sort of screen on top, or an aguarium. It just depends on how many chicks you are planning to get.

ETA, mine cost about $25.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  3. kev_kansas

kev_kansas Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2011
    awsome.. can you put pics of it on here? [​IMG]

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
  5. Christine21656

Christine21656 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2010
    Oakdale, MN/Somerset, WI
    I don't know if you still wanted to see this, but here is the brooder I am working on [​IMG] I didn't let my drill charge long enough; I was too anxious LOL! So, it died again... and I need more washers. But, here it is anyway, just so you get an idea of what I was talking about.
    [​IMG]
    The lid is not attached yet, either, and I still need to trim the vinyl.

[​IMG]

6. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by