Today's berry preserves didn't turn out well. Help?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by chicken_china_mom, Jun 16, 2010.

1. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Does anyone by chance have a good recipe for making berry preserves? I used mostly frozen berries, since it's what I had on hand, though my daughter happily added a couple of handfuls of mulberries that she picked. So it had raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and mulberries. I searched all over the internet for a good recipe for preserves, but it seems that either no one calls them preserves anymore, or no one makes them, because I didn't find any that I was really excited to try. I tried one that seemed simple enough, and considering I'm still in a lot of pain from the car accident, and standing for long periods of time still hurts, this one called for 4 quarts of berries, and sugar. Yep, that was it. I'd never made berry preserves before, so I figured for my first time, it couldn't hurt to give it a try. But by the time I finished and the jars had been sealed and then set aside to cool, I noticed that they still have a weak consistency. They aren't thick enough for my taste. And personally, I really think they needed something, but I'm not exactly sure what. If I had lemon juice in the house, I probably would have added a little of that in. I don't have any pectin at the moment, but I do have Knox gelatin. However, what few recipes I could find, all called for pectin. It seems that Knox is good if I want to make jello, which I don't! So, could anyone recommend a good recipe? I might be able to get a ride to the store where I can get some pectin, but not for a few weeks. Also, next month I'll be making black raspberry preserves and apricot preserves, and possibly peach preserves too. I don't have recipes for any of those either. Help? [​IMG]

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    The problem may be the frozen berries, but I'm not sure.

I've made strawberry preserves in the past, and the key to it is cooking it and cooking it and cooking it until it gels. It should pass the wrinkle test: put a small plate in the freezer. When you think the preserves are ready, place a spoonful onto the plate. If it's thin and spreads out, it's not ready. If it stays in one spot, then push it gently with your fingertip, it should become wrinkly and not spread out. If it gets wrinkly, then it's ready.

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    When I make jams I cheat. I use powdered pectin and do exactly what the instructions say. Never had a bad batch. One hint I read about in farm Journal years ago is to add about a teaspoon of butter to the batch. That way it doesn't foam and you don't have to skim it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by