Todays fertile eggs/incubate immediately or wait

Zanna

Songster
Oct 14, 2010
Jefferson, Oregon
Should you wait a couple of days before putting fresh (todays) fertile eggs in the incubator or put in right away? I know on mailed ones you should wait 12 - 24 hours to allow them to come up to room temp. I read somewhere fresh eggs should sit 3 days before putting in the incubator............???

Depends on how many eggs you are getting daily and how many eggs you want to incubate. The hen saves up a clutch of eggs before she starts setting. You don't want to be adding eggs to your incubator daily. Staggered hatching is a real pain to deal with.

Quote:
X2, I wait for about 5 days, before I put mine in, cause I want them all to hatch around the same day,
but you can put it in the incubator, strait from the nest box, and then do the same the next day and so on...

Thank you everyone! My plan was to collect a 2 dozen eggs over several days and put them in the incubator all together. I was concerned about the ones collected on the day I planned to put them all in but my question was answered that it is not a problem to put them in that day, they don't need a "rest" period first. Can't wait!
smile.png

No eggs that haven't been shipped don't need any rest period. But if you want to collect 2 dozen eggs, be sure to set them all at the same time so they don't have different hatch dates. You will thank yourself for that later. Best of luck on your hatch.

You might want to check out this article. It talks quite a bit on storing eggs for incubation.

If you have a turner, I suggest taking it out of the incubator, plug it in, and store your eggs pointy-side-down in it. That way you don't have to worry about turning.

I'm glad you asked first. I strongly support getting all you want and putting them in at the same time. Some people do staggered hatches, but most of them that do it successfully and with little extra stress are those that use a different incubator for lockdown and hatch. Especially for your first time, you don't need that extra stress.

Texas A&M Incubation site
http://gallus.tamu.edu/library/extpublications/b6092.pdf

Welcome to the adventure!!!

Back
Top Bottom