Today's Sunday Dinner and Supper - More Woodstove cooking

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by MissPrissy, Jan 18, 2009.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    After yesterday and coming in twice cold, wet, tired and hungry I got on the ball this morning.

Everything is cooking on the woodstove. Harnessing that wood energy!

I have a beef roast that has been gently roasting over night. I will finish it out with a mushroom gravy.

Collard Greens
    Rutabagas
    Fresh Beets
    Baked Sweet Potaotes

Split top potato rolls rising

I have a pumpkin pie left from Thursday so supper is good to go.

For me, now and in my childhood, Sunday dinner is a big thing. After church everything should be just about ready to go on the table and the rest of the day is spent sleeping off the coma you ate yourself into or catching up on this for the next week or watching movies. I always cook enough so that leftovers from the big dinner can be served for a quick supper.

What about you? What's for dinner? Will there be leftovers for supper?

2. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

Sounds good, what time would you like this redneck over for dinner?

We are having fresh pork steaks grown right here of course, green beans out of our garden and applesauce. Milk is my beverage of choice.....and no, never any leftovers here.

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    As usual, that sounds great.

How on earth do you find the time to watch a movie on Sunday. Usually, halfway through church I start working myself up into a panic about how I'm gonna get all the things done that I said I "would do on sunday".

DW came down with the same dang stomach flu I'm still fighting so our menu today will be chicken soup & maybe some peas over pastina with butter.

Me and Drum processed 10 quail last night. I deboned the breasts and ended up with around 30 ounces of pure breast meat that I'm soaking in milk overnight (no buttermilk on hand). In another container I've got the legs and thighs marinating in olive oil, salt, and pepper.

If I get the time I'd love to try making a loaf of bread using your starter too. I sorta promised Drum we would try that today.

Yeeehaaaa...

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    It all sounds great! If you promise not to make me eat the greens, can I come over, too?

5. Hellvagirl

Hellvagirl Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Ellijay,GA
    MP I love hearing about you cooking on your woodstove.It reminds me of when I was younger & would stay at my grannys.She had one of the black & white wood stoves & she would wake us up to breakfast that shed cooked on it.I've got to get me a wood stove!!

6. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    How do you cook a roast overnight?

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    sounds divine. um, potato roll recipe please!

we are having left-over goulash that i made last night. (two of my kids are on vacation w/grandparents) total winter comfort food.

wanted a simple day because we all have 'the crud' and i am delivering chickens and chicks to two different BYC'ers.

8. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    That sounds sooo good! I was raised on wood stove heat, but we only used it to cook with when we lost power. I have a gorgeous wood stove in the basement (one of the reasons we bought the house b/c when we lose power here due to ice, it's out all around the city and for a good while), but DS's allergist recommended not using it unless absolutely neccesary due to his asthma. *sigh* I adore the smell of wood smoke, the feel of wood heat...I need to look in to ways to use it without him being put at risk. I know it's possible b/c people have used wood stoves forever! [​IMG]

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Miss Prissy, your cooking on the woodstove so inspired me- but no woodstove! So.....I cooked sausage and eggs in the fireplace. DH was quite amused and doubtful, but he became a believer when I flipped the eggs with a toss of the cast iron skillet!

In honor of you, it is now known as "Breakfast, Miss Prissy Style"! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:I have a big heavy black pot. I put my roast, onions, garlic, and seasoning into the pot and then cover with water or half water and have stock. I put the big heavy lid on it. Just before bed when I set the fire and turn it down for a very slow burn I set the pot on the stove. It cooks very slow and gently while I sleep and the wood burns down to red coals. When I wake up I move the pot and slide it into my oven out of little hands reach. I then stoke the fire and warm the house for morning.

The meat is so moist and tender it just melts in your mouth like butter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by