Today's Vet Bill

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MissPrissy, Jun 5, 2008.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Once a year I call the vet and have her come out and look over my small herd.

This is why it pays to find a vet who will come to your pasture and see your livestocks - when she finished I wrote a check for $101.80. I think I got the better end of the deal. I have peace of mind knowing these lamb I bought are healthy and thriving. I know my little bucklings are growing at the proper rate. She relieved my fears out breeding the sheep and raising the ram for market. She assured me that following my gut instinct (the same as I did for my goats) is the right thing to do for these lambs.

She came at lunch today and checked everyone over head to toe.

Vaccinations she gave for the lambs and bucklings -

Bar Vac CD&T for 5
    Dectomax for 5

I purchased the meds for boosters and follow up vaccinations for the entire herd

1 bottle Bar Vac CD&T w/syringes
    2 bottles Rabies vaccine w/syringes
    100cc bottle Dectomax injectable for worming for all lambs if needed in 2 months

My large goats have never been dewormed and there is no sign of worms in them now. The lambs were wormed last week and she agrees that worming them every single month can be a bit much and to do a fecal in 2 months and only worm them then if something is found.

We were going to dock the tails on the ewes today but she said after looking at them that docking the tails now would be really bad. With the heat moving in and the flies starting to swarm in the humidity that docking the tails would probably cause more problems than preventing them. As long as we pay attention to them we shouldn't have to dock them. If we see there is an issue she will do it this fall when cool weather comes in. Not as easy as lambs but still do-able.

She had never seen a blue orp before and was mightily impressed by Mosby. The broody hen tickled her with those 2 little red heads peeking out. She liked the ducks and the geese and the rabbits.

She left with 3 dozen eggs.

Find a vet. Befriend your vet. Be kind to your vet. They are your best friend when it comes to your livestock.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You're lucky you can give your own rabies vaccinations. Only a vet can legally give them here. I do give my own distemper shots tho and he's willing to come out for rabies vaccination day for the barn cats. I wish I could catch them all for shots, but there are some just too wild.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Sounds like you have found a wonderfull vet. Im glad everyone there is growing as should. Of course...we all know you are a GREAT animal moma![​IMG]

4. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Quote:Words or wisdom! I know my vet and I love my vet!

5. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    For dogs and cats and such we can't do it only a vet can.

For cows, sheep and goats the state doesn't require any certificates so we can give those ourselves. She just sold me the meds and said do it. Same as last year.

6. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Wow Miss Prissy, that is great. Our vet charges about $100.00 just to breathe the air in their clinic.

I know it's comparing apples and oranges though. I'm very glad they are there when I need them.

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    It's $125 to get the vet to even come! I'm surprised he/she only went with the CD/T on the kids and lambs. I typically use an 8-way cloistridial, even though I usually get bac injection site reactions.

8. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:How right you are! A relationship with a veterinarian should start long before an animal is actually ill.
    If there is an established relationship, a vet will happily answer any emergency call, any time of the day or night. What angers them is getting calls from people who never do any preventitive care, but then expect the vet to hustle right over at 11:00 on a Sunday night.

9. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Which is another reason to buy your livestock from farmers in your general vincinity rather than auction. They're more likely to answer the phone at 2 am if they know you. [​IMG]

We can't give rabbies shots to our cats/dogs either, but the vet just rolled his eyes and told us the dose. He then mentioned it had been at least 30 years since any animal had rabies in our area. He also told me the tetanus shot for our livestock is the same for humans, it just costs 10X less. So, if I accidentally poke myself in the thigh with it about every 4-5 years I should be good to go.

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    She explained to me last year that different pockets of the US needed different vaccines when it came to lambs and kids. We got the standard vaccines for our area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by