Today's XL egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tala, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Laid by a 19ish month old White Leghorn hen [​IMG]
    I got a "bullet egg" double yolker from them last week. Perhaps she's gonna molt soon?? It's about time!
    [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Nice!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Yum, soooo edible!

4. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    you should try hatching some [​IMG]

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I'm starting to have trouble closing my egg cartons on a regular basis! Between the older Leghorn ladies, and my BCM girls who lay whopper eggs for their age.....most of my girls are laying XL sized eggs anyway. This one was just super big! [​IMG]

6. BeckySue

BeckySue Out Of The Brooder

We have a mixed flock of Plymouth Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Red Stars and about four other breeds (Ameraucana, Fayoumi, Andalusians (2), Minorca, Game, Jersey Giant).

Someone is laying HUGE eggs.

On Wednesday, we got an egg that weighed 4-5/8 ounces. I was so alarmed that I went out and checked vents! (I'm worried that such a huge egg could cause uterine prolapse!) Everyone's okay, but I have no idea who it is.

The Jersey Giant is a year and a half old now, but I don't think she's the culprit because the color is darker than what she lays.

We sell our eggs and these huge eggs (3-1/2 oz or better) won't fit in our cartons! I'm trying to convince my husband that we should blow out this egg and keep it as a "personal best" trophy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by