Toe curling???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MorganC, Jan 12, 2015.

1. MorganC

MorganC Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2014
    Idaho
    Hello all, need some advice...
    I have a gal in my 4H club that has a couple chicks, about two months old now, that have developed some feet that have just up and curled under the base of the foot. She's done her health checks and disease checks and everything seems to be fine but these strange toes. I suggested doing the basic parasite cleanses to see if it would go away and it hasn't and now I'm thinking it's some sort of deficiency. What do you think?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My guess would be that they have a vitamin deficiency. She may want to start them on some poultry vitamins.

3. MorganC

MorganC Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2014
    Idaho
    Ok, any ideas as to what deficiency? and is there a particular supplement you would recommend?

4. lmpeebles

lmpeebles Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Okay so I am VERY new at chicken keeping (my first flock is 9 weeks old). But, I had a chick's feet up and curl on her at about 3 weeks old. First they curled under and she was kind of hopping around. Then she was not even moving around at all. [​IMG] Everybody else was fine. I looked at some pictures and determined that it was likely a riboflavin deficiency. Based on a thread here, ran out and bought nutritional yeast and infant vitamin drops. Put her in her own little spot for a bit in the brooder, and didn't hold out much hope for her making it. Just put a few drops of the vitamin solution into her water and sprinkled nutritional yeast generously over her food. I was heartened when about two days later she was standing up again, although her toes still curled. Three days later, she was good as new! Now she's the second biggest in my flock! [​IMG]

Good luck to you! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. lmpeebles

Nov 22, 2014
    Austin, TX
  6. lmpeebles

Nov 22, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Also I should say that my chicks were all mix match from the hatchery, so it makes some sense that I only had one with the problem, but your friends chicks all have it, as it appears to come from the mama.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by