Toe injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KellyG8, Oct 27, 2016.

1. KellyG8

KellyG8 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    Hi everyone!

Today I noticed one of my hens limping. I inspected both legs and found nothing out of the ordinary. A little later I noticed her standing in just one leg, with the other tucked completely up. When I looked her over more closely, I noticed something wrong with her toe nail. I don't know if it broke off or is growing back, but it's red, short, and is certainly bothering her. Tonight I just cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide and a little antibiotic ointment. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks so much for any help. So thankful to have this group to turn in during times like this. :)

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Not sure what happened to her toe but it looks painful! If it's mucky clean with hydrogen peroxide, otherwise just plain soap and water. Antibiotic ointment is good - can you keep her on clean bedding etc. for a few days so she doesn't get dirt into the area? Let us know how it goes..[​IMG]

3. KellyG8

Mar 20, 2016
    My poor girl - I've been cleaning it everyday and it's less red. Still is swollen though. Tried wrapping it, but only stayed on for a couple hours. (See picture for a laugh!) She continues to limp, but seems happy otherwise. I guess I'll just continue doing what I'm doing now unless someone has any other advice or experience.

[​IMG]

4. KellyG8

Mar 20, 2016
    I just wanted to update this thread. Her toe nail ended up falling all of the way off. I cleaned it frequently with hydrogen peroxide to try and avoid infection. It's almost been two months and the nail has almost completely grown back. [​IMG]

5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice job! :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by