Toe nails?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roseyred, Jan 19, 2015.

1. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    One of my hens was limping a couple days back. Checked her feet and nothing was wrong. Today while free ranging she could barely run away from me. I scooper her up flipper her over and found that two of her toe nails were gone! Well one was hanging off. It's a big piece. The nails underneath were white and kinda soft and had a little blood at the cuticle. I removed the one that was hanging off gently and she didn't fuss. When I put her back she was limping alot less but didn't wanna stand on the foot. Also her other foot looks bigger than the one! Lol the one missing toe nails looks small and weak and the other is big and fat (normal) is there anyhing I should do or is this a thing they'll heal themselves ?

Normal foot
    [​IMG]
    Injured foot
    [​IMG]
    The toe in the middle was the one where the nail was already gone. The toe to the left is where I removed the hanging nail.
    [​IMG]
    Her feets
    [​IMG]
    Her name is Runa
    [​IMG]
    I'm so keeping this
    [​IMG]

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    My chicken breaks off his toenails all the time and not to mention the spurs. For the first while it looked like it hurt him (because it probably does) but I would be more concerned if it was swelling than that would cause a problem and if you're saying that one foots bigger than the other (more than normal) I would treat it then.

3. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    It's not that it's swollen it's more that the other foot is whimpy in comparison... The foot looks normal. Thank you I'll keep an eye on it. I figured it was somehing normal just wanted to be sure is there was anything I should do

4. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog

It is bad for a rooster to break his purs iff completely..

5. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    It depends, mine has taken his spurs off at least three times and he's still the same silkie he's always been. But we've had another cock break his spurs down the middle and we had to cut those off with the help of our veterinarian.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by