Toe pads on rear toes splitting. (Pic)

Dec 2, 2020
Hatched around 8/15 in an incubator. Raised by a broody most of that time.

Free range and run is large forested area.

She got caught in a box trap sometime today when I was at work. She slipped out of the run. She was in the rain for quite awhile. Not sure if this issue appeared today or is ongoing.

Rear toes pads are spread apart and have dirt? Embedded. Looks gnarly. She is not limping and gets around fine.

Pic

Attachments

• 7E766D65-7B97-452D-B3B5-1B9A1CA34495.jpeg
    7E766D65-7B97-452D-B3B5-1B9A1CA34495.jpeg
    389.8 KB · Views: 4
  • BEE8A645-B180-451D-AD7E-6BE0004E946E.jpeg
    BEE8A645-B180-451D-AD7E-6BE0004E946E.jpeg
    358.4 KB · Views: 1
Looks like early pododermatitis. Something is irritating the toes. Since it's only the back toes then maybe something to do with your perches, or how this particular bird perches. I've seen irritation like this from living in wet or soiled conditions. Sometimes diet can contribute, vitamin A deficiencies sometimes cause dermatitis issues. I would soak the feet in epsom salts and then dry well and apply a triple antibiotic ointment to the area's a couple of times a day. And try to figure out where the irritation is happening and rectify that.

Looks like early pododermatitis. Something is irritating the toes. Since it's only the back toes then maybe something to do with your perches, or how this particular bird perches. I've seen irritation like this from living in wet or soiled conditions. Sometimes diet can contribute, vitamin A deficiencies sometimes cause dermatitis issues. I would soak the feet in epsom salts and then dry well and apply a triple antibiotic ointment to the area's a couple of times a day. And try to figure out where the irritation is happening and rectify that.

Thank you. This one does sometimes sleep on the ground not in the roosts.

I checked all the other birds. About 25, nobody else is suffering it.

It’s been quite dry. Yesterday was first rain in a month.

Thanks for the reply

Last edited:
She may be sleeping on the ground due to the feet bothering her, or the feet are from sleeping on the ground, hard to say. You might try padding her spot on the roost to see if it helps (something that can't be pecked and eaten, an old towel can work. I'd give her a good going over to look for anything else that might be discouraging her from roosting, check her keel for any irritation there also. But I would try to take care of those toes before it becomes full blown bumblefoot with infection.

Back
Top Bottom