Toe pecking never ends...

granta

Hatching
Nov 18, 2018
SE Michigan
We have a chicken who has had a toe injury that is always aggravated by her two sisters. We’ve tried quarantining until it stops bleeding, but they pick at it anyway. We bandage her entire feet and they somehow find a gap and cause a new injury. I know she’s at the bottom of the pecking order, but I’m just so exhausted with dealing with the injury. She can’t move one of her toes because they pecked away one of the tendons, and I’m at my wits end. Should I build another small coop to put her in until they completely heal?

Aapomp831

Songster
Oct 4, 2017
Lincolnton, NC
You don’t necessarily have to build another coop; do you have a large dog crate so you can keep her with the other chickens but they can’t get to her? Whenever you have a flock, you should always have a quarantine / hospital area to separate sick or injured birds. Your other chickens will not stop pecking at the wound until they can’t see it anymore; chickens are real a-holes like that. So yes, separate until fully healed but no need for a new coop - just a place where she can be comfortable and preferably still see the other.

granta

Hatching
Nov 18, 2018
SE Michigan
We have a medium sized dog crate that we tried, but felt bad because she would just pace back and forth and try to get out. Should we just stick it out? If so, does she only need food and water in there?

Aapomp831

Songster
Oct 4, 2017
Lincolnton, NC
We have a medium sized dog crate that we tried, but felt bad because she would just pace back and forth and try to get out. Should we just stick it out? If so, does she only need food and water in there?
Yes I would make her stick it out; with a toe injury she shouldn’t be moving around too much. Chickens love new stuff, and they notice anything out of the ordinary like bandages and peck it out of curiosity. But once they get to the bloody stuff, they will canabalize the poor thing. As long as she is completely safe from predators and has clean food and fresh water, she will be just fine. They just don’t know what’s best for them.

Wyorp Rock

Blessed
Premium Feather Member
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
We have a chicken who has had a toe injury that is always aggravated by her two sisters. We’ve tried quarantining until it stops bleeding, but they pick at it anyway. We bandage her entire feet and they somehow find a gap and cause a new injury. I know she’s at the bottom of the pecking order, but I’m just so exhausted with dealing with the injury. She can’t move one of her toes because they pecked away one of the tendons, and I’m at my wits end. Should I build another small coop to put her in until they completely heal?
How old is she?
Can you please post some photos?

Aapomp831

Songster
Oct 4, 2017
Lincolnton, NC
Okay thank you! Should I take her bandages off while she’s separated?
I wouldn’t, I would continue to do what you’re doing. Just make sure the bandage isn’t too tight so it gets some airflow for proper healing. You can use Neosporin (without pain reliever), or I would personally use bag balm on it. Once it’s slightly scabbed over I would remove the bandage (but again, don't reintroduce to the flock until the injury is completely healed).

Top Bottom