toe picking

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by babsh, Apr 30, 2008.

1. babsh

babsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have 4 standard, 2 week old chicks that i have been trying to integrate with 12, 1 week old bantam chicks (silkies and sebrights). I was worried the 'big' girls would be mean to the little chicks but i have the opposite problem. When i bring all of the chicks together, they mercilessly peck at the big girls' feet. I thought maybe it was because they outnumbered them, so i tried just putting one in with the standards to see what would happen- that one sebright chased the 4 girls around mercilessly. They kept hopping up on their waterer and branch trying to get away. They do not fight back at all.

I would love some ideas! i am sick of having to have separate set-ups for all of my chicks (I also have a 3.5 week old standard that is in it's own box as well). The chicks are all in one big box, but separated by wire until i can figure out how to get them to "all just get along". the sebrights are the worst culprits. They are literally half the size of the others, but it doesn't deter them.

Barb, total newbie

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Just let them pick it out. At this stage they are still so young and curious they usually aren't terribly malicious as adults can be. They should settle down once they figure out the big worm things are just larger versions of their own feet and no good to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by