Toe picking

kajhurley

Songster
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Cooper, TX
I have five bob whites in a cage that is 2 ft by 2 ft that are around 8 weeks old and i have noticed a little blood on their feet. What do i need to do about this??

Put some blu-kote on it. I would also put some cardboard in their pen so they don't have to stand on wire while their healing. Keep it clean so their not standing in poop.

Correct on all these posts, however 5 bobs in a 4 square foot brooder is hugely undersized for bobs. They need at least 1 to 2 square feet per bird and as they grow they may need more, as in 3 to 4 square feet. They are toe picking because they are cramped.

I have noticed this with my little bobs too, they just started doing this about a week ago. However they are in a large pen and have plenty of room, so figuring out how i can fix the problem if becoming a huge job. my next step right now is to separate the four hens that are injured on their feet, so I can focus on taking care of them without stressing them out to much.

I do have a question on the lighting answer:
My hens are laying, if I only have the red heat lamp going and no artificial light or sun light will they continue to lay?

Back
Top Bottom