Toe punching ducklings ...question?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SundownWaterfowl, Apr 9, 2009.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have never toe punched ducklings before. I wanted to do is this year, to keep track of what year they were hatched.

Now, in the webs, there are small tiny veins. What happens when I toe punch? Do they bleed?

Please, I need a experience toe pucher. [​IMG]

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Why don't you wait a while and leg band them? much easier on both you and the ducks.~gd

3. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    they only bleed a drop or two, not much if any at all, just make sure you toe punch far enough back so the hole doesn't tear.

Leg bands come off sometimes and then you don't know where the duck came from. If you are dealing with a lot of different bloodlines of call ducks and have a large number of them the most popular way of marking them is toe punching. It does not come off, no need to adjust a band.
    Cows, goats, pigs....etc are tagged on the ear, what is the difference?
    We also toe punch our chickens*****gasp*****

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Thank you Mrs.Turbo.

Here are the 3 mixed color calls I want to toe punch.

I got 3 out of 4 to hatch. Next batch is mixed color and grays to hatch this monday. Hopefully my pair of whites starts soon. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Mrs. Turbo

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    there is nothing cuter than a call duckling, that is for sure. We had our first hatch 4 days ago. This group has pastel, butterscotch, a white and a grey. They look a lot alike as ducklings so toe punching also helps us keep track. I don't think someone wants a pastel duckling if they ordered a butter. Some of our ducks haven't started laying yet, so don't get too worried yet [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    I always get to wondering when someone claims that a method is "the most popular" The most popular with who? Turbo didn't mention that sometimes the hole in the web heals and closes, sometime it becomes infected. "If you are dealing with a lot of different bloodlines of call ducks and have a large number of them the most popular way of marking them is toe punching." Yes think carefully about your coding system before you start or their feet end up looking like swiss cheese.
    SW said he wanted to keep track of the year of hatch, What I had in mind was the seamless leg bands sold by the American Bantam Association they have the year right on the band. Your birds, your choice.~gd

7. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Mrs. Turbo :

they only bleed a drop or two, not much if any at all, just make sure you toe punch far enough back so the hole doesn't tear.

Leg bands come off sometimes and then you don't know where the duck came from. If you are dealing with a lot of different bloodlines of call ducks and have a large number of them the most popular way of marking them is toe punching. It does not come off, no need to adjust a band.

Goats tear tags out of their ears. I tattoo. Do they not tattoo poultry or anything?​

8. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Mrs. Turbo :

Ditto [​IMG]

9. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I am banding our female when I let her in with our males at the pond. I'm concerned about someone stealing her. I'm pretty sure if anyone would, it would be the female. [​IMG]

I'm afraid to punch their feet, they look so delicate!

10. Mrs. Turbo

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Quote:Ok, here we go I guess......
    If you go to a district or a national meet for call ducks 9 times out of 10 the call ducks are toe punched. It is the most popular way to mark callducks. We make sure to get a good clean punch and haven't had one close up yet. We also toe punch straight out of the hatcher and have yet to have any infections. Sundown asked specifically about toe punching, not banding. I can walk out to our call duckpen and pick up a duck and tell you how old it is and what the bloodline is. Our champion bantam duck taken out of the show cage, the metal leg band was cut off and he was put in a new cage a few rows down. We found him and knew he was our duck because of the toe punching.........leg bands do come off. Do you usually make it a habit to start trouble on other peoples post?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by