1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Toe Punching?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Black Feather, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Do any of you guys use the toe punch method to identify your birds? I've never done it before and was considering trying it in my breeding program on my bantams. I've never seen it or done it though so was wondering if anyone has any instructions or finer details to the procedure?

Thanks!
    Urban Coyote

2. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I thought that was for ducks..........punching the webbing between the toes! Seems to me it would be hard to do on chickens....

3. Black Feather

Apr 20, 2007
    I guess people do it all the time in show birds. I've never done it myself though and have been having a heck of a time keeping track of my bloodlines, so I thought I might give it a go. They punch a hole in the web between the chickens toes.

Urban Coyote

4. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    I toe punch all my baby chicks and baby Pheasants, it's the only way to go if you keep records, And the only way to keep track of them untill they are old enough to put a permanent band on them, that is if you have several matings of the same breed or species..with 16 different combinations you can keep track of alot of chicks.You can also split the webbing, Either way is quick,easy and practically painless

5. Black Feather

Apr 20, 2007
    Thanks Pine Grove,

Is there any particular technique to it, or anything you have to watch out for? I will be doing bantams.

Urban Coyote

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by