Toeballs!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by oxymoron71, Jun 18, 2019.

1. oxymoron71

oxymoron71 In the Brooder

Mar 2, 2019
    Hi- one of my girls has a couple of little poo toeballs....only small (about 1/4cm) . What’s the best way to remove them? I’m thinking soaking in warm water, but that would take at least 10 mins, & I’m not sure I could keep her still for that long!!! Any advice? Do they ever just fall off? Quails are kept indoors btw. Thanks!

CoturnixComplex likes this.
  2. sarabeth485

sarabeth485 Songster

Aug 1, 2018
    I put mine in a 3ish gallon bucket with about 1/2 inch of water and then covered with a mesh fabric I had lying around. She jumped and flopped periodically and complained a lot but it worked well.

oxymoron71 and CoturnixComplex like this.
  3. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Your right it does take about 10 mins. I wash it off under a faucet running warm water.

oxymoron71 and CoturnixComplex like this.
  4. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler

Oct 10, 2016
    Southern Ohio
    I cut them off with goat clippers. Took maybe 2 minutes. Nails needed trimmed anyway but I cut small bits of the ball off at a time to make sure I didn't cut the actual nail yet. I did it by myself but it might be helpful to have a extra pair of hands.

CoturnixComplex and 007Sean like this.
  5. CoturnixComplex

CoturnixComplex Crowing

Nov 16, 2018
    I have been giving mine extra time in the coarse granite sand runs and it seems to be helping wear them off naturally when they start to form.

oxymoron71 likes this.
  6. DK newbie

DK newbie Songster

Apr 20, 2015
    I've only had the issue with my button quail yet, and with those I just put them in a small hamster cage or similar with some kind of heavy substrate (sand, small stones) and pour warm water into the cage so it just covers their feet. I check on them every now and then - sometimes the balls are gone after a few minutes, sometimes it takes an hour and a half but apart from the initial panic from being moved the birds don't seem too stressed about it and there is no risk of pulling the toe nails off as I have - several times - if I try to remove the poo balls with nail clippers or other tools. Guess the risk of that is not as big with cots though..

oxymoron71 likes this.
  7. ironjerry

ironjerry Chirping

May 4, 2007
    medina, ohio
    I break up slowly with fingernail or nail clipper or small scissors check bedding needs cleaned more often? I use corn cobs no problem now

oxymoron71 likes this.
  8. oxymoron71

oxymoron71 In the Brooder

Mar 2, 2019
    I soaked her feet for 1/2h this morning while I was cleaning the cage out (which I do thoroughly once a week, but I pick poo up twice a day) - man those balls are tough!! They barely softened. I managed to pick the smaller one off, she was very good & held still, but the bigger one I only managed to reduce a bit. I’m going to soak her again tomorrow. Don’t want it to be too stressful for her. Have learned my lesson- will be getting them off at the first sign in future! Didn’t realise they were such tough buggers.
    What do you use corn cobs for??

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I know with chicken chicks and sand in brooder, poop turns to concrete on toenails.

10. CaloosaBirds

CaloosaBirds In the Brooder

Nov 22, 2016
    This may sound odd, but I've used nail polish remover to soften them, then they are easy to pick off. (I used the kind with a sponge on a wire.) It works pretty fast, too. Maybe 10-30 seconds for softening? Though I would suppose it depends on the size of the ball.

oxymoron71 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: