Toenail care

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by omelette'smom, Dec 1, 2008.

1. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    My bantum broke her toenail and bleed a bit. Actually, it seemed like a lot! By the time i saw it, it had already stopped. This is not the first bantum to break a toenail. I got 3 older hens who were not free range that had/has long toenails. Am i supposed to clip them? they are free range now but i haven't noticed them wearing down. She lost 2 now and another has lost at least one and i don't know about the other but i'm going to look after i get off the computer. If i am supposed to clip than how do i know how far to clip to or will they wear down on their own. [​IMG]

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I just use dog nail trimmer and trim just about 1/8 in off at a time.

3. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    I'm not sure of the correct protocall... but if they are losing them, and bleeding by doing so, I would trim them with a pair of regular nail clippers. I'd trim just the tip, maybe a lil more, so they aren't getting into the quick. Just take off the tip, so it won't catch on whatever is making them be pulled off.
    There's commercials for those dog/cat nail files that I've seen at walgreens. It just sands them down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by