1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

toenail issues

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JarrodnJojo2016, Dec 4, 2016.

1. JarrodnJojo2016

JarrodnJojo2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2016
    shady point , OK
    one of my new black tailed white Japanese hens has extremely long toenails, way over the length they should be. should I cut it? an I cut it with regular or dog toenail clippers? it throws her balance off a bit and I hate it how it makes her pretty little feet look! any suggestions??

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, you can trim her nails with dog toe nail clippers. Understand that there is a quick in the nails just as with dogs nails.

3. JarrodnJojo2016

JarrodnJojo2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2016
    shady point , OK
    thank you

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If her toenails are white, you may be able to see the quick. If they are colored, just trim back a little bit at a time.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Also look to prevent the problem from reoccurring. Make birds have locations they can scratch and where the tips of the evergrowing talons. A box with a wooden bottom they can scratch down to is a start. Consider placing sand or pea gravel in the same box. One of these days I will try wrapping roosting dowel with sand paper to see how that works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by