Toenails

garyblaine

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 21, 2011
Our chickens had what looked like a bunch of dirt and droppings collected on their toes.Thet were formed like balls on their toenails. I could pull them of the last time but this time one was pretty big and went it came off so did the toenail. It still has the shape of the nail but it is very thin and flimsy and did bleed some.She is now holding it up and I know it has to be hurting.My question is,do these re-generate or grow back and how long will it take? do I need to worry about infection? any help appreciated

Hi garyblaine
welcome-byc.gif

I had a brahma rooster that some how pulled his toenail off, I soaked his foot in some clean water to remove all the dirt and blood it bled alot. Then I put blue kote on it. you could also use neomysin or something like it but not with pain killer that ends in caine. He never did grow another nail, so can't say if your will or not. But he should heal up fine with a little TLC. Best wishes.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
HI there!
welcome-byc.gif

So, about the toenail... It may not grow back but should heal up soon. If it continues to bleed, use a tissue to act sorta like a band-aid. Hold it on until it stops. The bird should get better soon, but until then, moniter it to make sure its not acting really painful. Until then, try to keep the little balls from forming again. They could cause problems. Be sure to keep the coop clean and get them out often to prevent them from forming.

you say it still has the 'shape' of the toenail, which is probably the quick. It will heal, just keep her in a CLEAN erea, being its her FOOT it doesnt take much to get dirty
wink.png

My rooster keeps picking at his toes all of the time. Today I caught him to see what he was picking at and it looks like one of the raised scales near his outer toe on both feet. He has had leg mites at some point but had gotten them before I got him. His toes looked a little cracked in these areas. I put some petrolium jelly on his feet but I don't know if that will help. After every step he takes, he picks up one of his feet and bites at this area. This behavior has gotten worse lately. Anyone know what to do for this? Thanks.

Wayne

Tonite I noticed a sizable amount of blood on the woodchips in the bottom of the coop. I peeked in at the birds to see if any were missing or had any obvious injuries. The only thing
I noticed is one of the roos had bloody toenails.
As the blood was only on the coop floor and not at all in the yard, I wonder if he injured a hen while trying to mount her. I think he mounts them in the coop where the main roo can't see him.
(that little sneak) I will check in the morning when the hens are out in the light.

Am I supposed to trim roo toenails?
I've never seen this on my other roo and he is the main dude. He rode the ladies all last summer and never drew blood.

Back
Top Bottom