toes curled in

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by niglefritz, Feb 21, 2012.

1. niglefritz

niglefritz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2012
    MB
    We have noticed that some of our chickens (now just over 17 wks) have toes that are curling in. Everyone can still walk. What is this, what causes it (I imagine a vitamin/mineral deficiency?), and how can we correct it (is it correctable)? We haven't seen this on our chickens until just a little while ago and I am having trouble finding information on it.

2. gmolly

gmolly Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2012
    powell wyoming
    go to poultrykeeper.com they have a answer for u . hope it helps

3. niglefritz

niglefritz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2012
    MB
    This is the information that I found there:
    http://poultrykeeper.com/diseases-disorders/skeletal-and-muscular/crooked-toes.html

It is possible that the floor could be too cold. We will have to see what we can do.

Come to think of it, we did have some hens that showed this a little bit at one point. They were at the bottom of the pecking order, and they seemed to exhibit the same thing as part of a submission act. Once we removed them, they perked up and their toes corrected. They were put on a colder floor at that point and this didn't reoccur. I thought that this change in their toes was strange, but we might even try separating these ones and see what happens considering that past experience.

Thank you for the site suggestion!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by