Toes curled to the side

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PurdueRooster, Jun 11, 2011.

1. PurdueRooster

PurdueRooster New Egg

May 29, 2011
    In my batch of 32 chickens, maybe three have this issue. The outer toes are curled to the side instead of laying flat. It doesn't seem to be affecting their ability to walk, but I'm concerned that this happened. They were on corn cob bedding for a little while when they were younger because it was all I had available for a few weeks. I'll get a picture up in a little while but I wqas curious what causes this, especially since not all of the ones exhibiting this are the same breed.

The chickens are five weeks old, so it's not really like I can do much (or can I?) I've done the whole chick-raising thing many times; this is the first time this has ever happened.

Thanks.

2. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    Like this?
    [​IMG]

3. PurdueRooster

PurdueRooster New Egg

May 29, 2011
    Yes, that's exactly it.

4. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I have one girl who is now over 3 years old who has those same curled toes. She free ranges and does just fine. I guess they could be more susceptible to injuries and bumblefoot, but she has had not problems.

5. sawmane1

sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    mabey a splint could help... they look young enough for it too be repairable.

6. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    This is a common problem with chicks who 1.) are inbred too closely, or 2.) have the humidity that is not right during the incubation. How old are your chicks? If they are still young (under a week or so), you can take pipe cleaner and bend it to the right shape and use band aids to secure it to the chicks' toes and it make correct their shape. However, if they are past a couple of weeks old, they may not respond to this rehab method. I have a batch of them that I bought that ended up this way and I was disappointed. We were looking for show stock. However, this will not effect their survivability, they will be fine as domestic birds. If they were wild and had this problem it may effect their ability to roost, but all of mine seem to fair just fine.

7. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    I once had a rooster who I hatched in an incubator who had this problem. It was pretty severe--it affected all his toes--but he was otherwise very healthy and vigorous and lived a perfectly normal life.

8. PurdueRooster

PurdueRooster New Egg

May 29, 2011
    Hmm. Thanks for the replies. I'm glad it wasn't something that I did wrong. They seem to be able to walk fine and it isn't like they know they're ugly or that they're inbred, you know?

9. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]

Yeah, I was a bit disgusted that I got chicks this way from a very well known breeder. There is no reason someone with experience should be putting out chicks with these problems. I got some from a different place that had the same problems last year. I can still breed these, but if I just get more crooked feet I will know it was the breeding and have to get rid of them all so I can breed better birds.

Good luck.

10. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

I also believe that one possible cause is humidity too high during incubation. Nothing scientific to base this on but that's what I have been told. By using the "dry-hatch" method in my LG's have not had any more problems like this. I have a hen 3 yrs. old that has almost no toes at all ( froze off) and she can keep up with any hen in the flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by