1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Toes curled under on newly hatched silkie chicks.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Featherland, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    I have 3 Silkie chicks that hatched this morning and their outer toes are curled under their feet. Is there anything I can do to correct this?

2. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    I have had that happen to several of mine too. I was told to get a thin piece of cardboard and use duct tape to tape thier toes down and then trim it so that it is like a little shoe. I tried it and it didnt work for mine. they do pretty good with curled toes. Just cant perch on anything real well. Jenn

3. Featherland

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Thank you jkcove08. I will try that. Does anyone know why that happens?

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

It's either genetic or the humidity was off.

5. Featherland

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Would that be the humidity too high or too low? Could it be a vitamin deficiency? I put bandaids on their feet and they are walking much better. Does anyone know how long to keep the bandaids on their feet?

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    In addition to the "shoe" (for small chicks a strong tape...even duct tape will usually do> place foot on a square with toes in proper position then another square on top and press well together then trim)
    I feel it is crucial to add a supplement for the b vitamins in particular B-2 (riboflavin) as a deficiency is often involved with curled toes. POLYVISOL does not have the B-1 but does have B-2 I believe so I would give three drops of that daily into beak for a week then ease off the next in addition to the shoe.

7. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Here's a link that might be of some help. http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/1/
    I've never had any experience with crooked toes with my chics, so I can't offer any other advice to ya.
    Good luck [​IMG]

8. Featherland

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Thank you all for your help and advice. [​IMG] I have been giving them vitamins. Last night I took their' bandaid shoes" off (they were on for 3 days) and their toes are just fine now.
    Featherland

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by