Toes falling off? warning graphic photos.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RentaPig311, Mar 9, 2014.

1. RentaPig311

RentaPig311 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2013
    Denton Texas
    Hey all, I have a young FBCM who's toes are falling off. I just noticed it today. She is less than a year old and seems healthy. I have a flock of 9 and none of the other hens are showing Any health issues. My flock is free ranged from sun up to sundown. Large coop with roosts and sand on the floor cleaned weekly. I haven't noticed any issues in the chicken poo. She is still roosting and walking. I have not notice any mites or leg issues. Some of the other fbcm are showing black specks on the combs and wattles. I just assumed it was pecking issues. Any ideas? Should ahw be culled? If so is she safe to eat?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Does it get cold enough for frostbite / the toes to have gotten frozen where you are?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Toes usually fall off like that with frostbite, especially if toes get wet in freezing temperatures. The are some scaly leg mites that need attention with weekly application of vaseline. Do you have any evidence where a rat could have chewed off the toe, or do you think it is frostbite? Sand for litter can be very cold in the wintertime. Spray the toes with BluKote or use some other antiseptic ointment or liquid. A soak in epsom salts may be soothing and clean the feet and legs good, then dry thoroughly.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  4. RentaPig311

RentaPig311 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2013
    Denton Texas
    No evidence of rats. I'm in North Texas in the city. Wildlife isnt really a problem. It's been cold but nothing crazy. If it drops below 20 it's just for a few hours. The coop is very dry, I even used tar paper under the siding. The birds all roost at night on 2x4s.The strange thing is it happened almost over night. I sprayed this bird with leg mite spray about three days before the picture and her feet were fine. It seems like they tissue has fallen off but the bird is OK. I think I will try to treat her.Thanks for the info Y'all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by