Toes on silkies.....what are they supposed to look like to win at show

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by vetgirl00us, Sep 10, 2011.

1. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I'm new to silkies but was fortunate to get some eggs from a reputable show breeder to hatch. I ended up with eleven birds. I'm not sure what I'm working with but they all have huge, domed heads and five toes. I normally show Serama and OE and I had a guy telling me about the spacing of the toes on a silkie was a big deal. Can someone explain or even better post pics of good, better, best and totally wrong for the toe placing? Those toes are hard to see on the fluffy showbirds in the cages lol.

2. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    So nobody know anything about toes on a silkie????????

3. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I would do a search on silkie feet or silkie toes. There are TONS of these threads with pics on here.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Toes on silkies are a big deal in judging only if there are not 5 of them. I've never seen a judge pay much attention to spacing, and I have seen them miscount toes, too. All in all, TYPE is the biggest issue.

Now I am not sayng that breeders do not or should not care about correct spacing, but that was not your question. Three toes pointing forwards, two pointing back and up, all well spaced wiht little webbing. They should be well feathered. Most breeders say the more foot feathering the better, but the standard actually lists "too heavy foot feathering which usually brings out stiff feathering" as a defect. Seems to me that the stiff feathering is the actual defect, but it is poorly prhased.

5. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by