1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

toes webbed...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cooperkeeper, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Cooperkeeper

Cooperkeeper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    My chicks arrived a week ago today, ordered from My Pet Chicken. All are doing great, but I have noticed one little girl has webbing between the middle and outside toes that keeps the two toes quite close together. She seems to be getting along fine. I am just wondering if this could cause a problem with balance/roosting or scratching down the road.

I will try to get a pic..though not sure I have enough posts here to load it yet.

Anyone else had anything like this?

2. quibs

quibs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    New Jersey
    I've never had a chick with webbing before. How severe is the webbing? is it restricting their walking at all?

Post some pictures of what it looks like if you can

3. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    all chicks have webbing unless there is a breed I have never had before is missing it. A lot of people will use a toe punch and punch the web to mark the chicks to keep records of which hen and rooster they are out of. Better than bands as it is permanent.

4. Cooperkeeper

Apr 9, 2011
    My first attempt to post pics.

This is the chick I first posted about. I believe she is one of my Silver Laced Wyandottes and 10 days old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. TedJan92_in_Idaho

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    wow that is a lot of web. I think I would clip it back to a normal length.

6. Cooperkeeper

Apr 9, 2011
    What would I use to clip?
    Do I have to worry about infection?

7. TedJan92_in_Idaho

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I would clean it good with a antiseptic. I use a pair of good small nail trimming scissors. Cut it on both sides but don't get to close to the toes. It usually does't bleed very bad but would be a good ideal to have some blood stopper powder on hand. Get it at the drug or co-op store. It may not be something you want to do. Some may be against it. I have never lost any chickens from doing it. I was raised on a farm and got to tag around with the vet for years when he came out and he taught me how to do a bunch of stuff. He thought it was a good way to mark chickens so I used the method for a while until I discovered a chick toe punch. It isn't as bad as doing a bumble foot surgery

8. TedJan92_in_Idaho

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    can you get some help and spread the toes on both feet and get a few pictures??

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Ouch! I personally would not clip it unless it was done by the vet. Things could go wrong and I'm sure it would be painful.

If it were me, I'd leave the chick alone. I'm sure it would grow up fine with the webbed feet. Just my personal opinion.

10. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    ohhhh my please dont clip it. That would hurt soooooo bad! If your chick is walking fine and it dosnt seem to have trouble walking, just leave it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by