Tolbunt not looking good :)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Stephkyles, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Stephkyles

Stephkyles In the Brooder

May 2, 2014
    We have 5 hens that are 18 weeks old and 1 guinea that's 14 weeks old. We got 2 frizzles and a tolbunt that is 12 weeks old and 7 younger chicks (6 weeks and younger). When we built out new coop and run, we merged them all together on Saturday. The run is doesn't have a roof so there are areas that have shade and some that don't. Naturally, the big girls are picking on everyone but seems to be across the board. When I let them out of the coop this morning- all was well. When I went back tonight to put them all up- the tolbunt doesn't seem right. He's just laying there looking super sleepy. I brought him in and gave him some honey water. I set him down on our patio and walked away from him. Usually when I do that, he stands up and starts walking around crying for the other 2 frizzles he has grown up with.... Not tonight though- he just laid his head down where I sat him. He could have got overheated? Thoughts? Thanks in advance! Here's a video of our coop and run https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153133489689465&id=729744464

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would offer him some electrolyte water (SaveAChick) or homemade. Coccidiosis would be my first concern if he is standing puffed up, but if the temperature has been extremely hot and he may have been kept from water by the older chickens, he could be dehydrated. Look at his stools for diarrhea or any blood. With cocci, I would probably start some Corid even if it turns out that it wasn't the problem, because coccidiosis can kill so quickly when symptoms start. I like to place shaded shallow pans of water all around the chicken's area in summer so that none will be kept from water,

3. Stephkyles

Stephkyles In the Brooder

May 2, 2014
    First off that was supposed to be a frown instead of a smiley face in title. I'm worried sick about him and I don't want to lose him.
    Secondly, thank you eggcessive for replying. You've replied before to my posts and I appreciate your time and feedback...
    I had two waterers out in the run but tonight when I went to put them up- I noticed that the smaller one was kicked over. I will try the shallow pans tomorrow... How do you make homemade electrolyte water?

I've had my run with cocci before and this doesn't seem like the same. He's not puffy and he's not droppy. Just seems extra tired. He's 12 weeks old at least and he's been exposed to dirt for the last 5 weeks or so, so I would think that he's built up an immune to it.
    When I brought him in to give him water, he pooped on my floor. It was a nice consistency- not too watery, has grass and grit that looked like sand and I didn't see any blood...

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There can be recurrences of cocci up to 20 weeks and older, so just look out for it. If you live in a warm, humid climate worms can also be a problem starting after 3 months or so.

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION from The Chicken Chick
    1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon table salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 gallon water
    *Salt substitute is readily available in most stores in the spice aisle near the salt, but if you do not have it, don't worry, the solution will still have most of the benefits intended to combat heat stress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: