Tolbunt Polish Crested: Gender and Color Opinions? **pictures**

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by remme, Dec 26, 2013.

1. remme

remme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Ok this is my first time hatching Tolbunt eggs. They were purchased as Tolbunt or Cuckoo Polish Crested. They are about 2-3 weeks old now. Take a look and let me know what you think please regarding Gender and adult presumed color (tolbunt or cuckoo?):

1) This is Ed. The only one of the 30 eggs I had to help hatch. Im leaning Pullet. Ed has no comb forming and little to no tail feathers. She also has a more distinct "top hat" as you'll see compared to what I think are boys.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2) The darkest of the group. Im also thinking Pullet for the same reasons as "Ed". Check out that "top hat" puff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3) Im a little wary about this one. He has a much more distinct tail feathering. He doesn't have anything resembling a comb yet but if you look closely you can almost see "horns" forming (first picture). Im leaning Roo...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4) The last one. This one screams Roo and is the bird I compared the rest to. He has obvious comb development and large distinct tail feathers. He also challenges every other chick hes in with, particularly my big frizzled silkie that's a week older than him.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I kind of think it is too young to tell..

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    They are too young to sex. I can usually sex polish around 7-9 weeks old.

4. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    I think too young to tell also. Are they pure? The last one looks like he has a single comb (although it may just be the picture), and their vaults are rather small.

5. remme

remme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    To young to even tell if they are Tolbunt or Cuckoo?! The breeder who I purchased the eggs from told me that they were pure. He just collected the eggs from his Tolbunt and Cuckoo breeding stock he did not specify which eggs were what.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I said too young to sex. I think they are all tolbunt, well meybr not the first i'm not sure, but I dont have much experience with either color, so dont hold me to it

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  7. Chaoticchickens

Chaoticchickens Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2013
    Northeast, Pa
    To young

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by