told is was a Mille Fleur..looks like a buttercup-but has yellow legs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mudpaw, Oct 25, 2009.

1. mudpaw

mudpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    I was given a few young birds today...the guy didn't know exactly what they were (they weren't expecting chicks, but got some any how LOL). I noticed the 2 (maybe 3) cockerels had weird combs-looked them up-they are "buttercup" type(very obvious on 2 of the cockerels). The guy said they had bantam Mille Fleurs and a couple bantam EEs at home. But neither breed has a yellow leg...also, these chicks have clean legs. It's crazy how much they look like Sicilian buttercups...I would post pics, but it's too late to get a decent photo-first thing tomorrow though! Anyone have any ideas what they might be? (a mix obviously....but of what?)

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Get those pics up-sounds interesting!

3. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

The gene allowing legs to be yellow is recessive. Quite a few of those EE birds seem to have willow legs, which is a result of the gene which allows legs to be yellow & a gene which allows pigment in the dermal layer.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Buttercups should have a greenish slate color legs, no less.

Golden Campine????????????//

5. mudpaw

mudpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
  6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    OK I took a good look at your photos and from what I see they are Buttercups but the leg colorings are very wrong for the breed. Something tells me they are hatchery bred ones.

They are NOT Mille Fleur at all, no featherings on legs nor I see any speckled pattern in there in brown, black and white.

So what you got are Buttercups.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by