Tom and Hen Fighting

GarrettW

Chirping
Mar 23, 2021
One of my hens and my tom were standing across from each other, with a fence in between them for a few hours today. They were both strutting and making the trilling sound. I eventually just opened the gate between them and let them fight it out. My tom won, but my hen seems to hold a grudge because she is still being aggressive towards the tom and even the other hens. Have any of you had this issue? This is the first time they've been aggresive towards each other.

Also, they are not kept in the same pen as each other, so is it even possible that it's a breeding thing.

Here's a video, sorry about the quality:

One of my hens and my tom were standing across from each other, with a fence in between them for a few hours today. They were both strutting and making the trilling sound. I eventually just opened the gate between them and let them fight it out. My tom won, but my hen seems to hold a grudge because she is still being aggressive towards the tom and even the other hens. Have any of you had this issue? This is the first time they've been aggressive towards each other.

Also, they are not kept in the same pen as each other, so is it even possible that it's a breeding thing.

Here's a video, sorry about the quality:
No one really knows what goes on in tiny bird brains.

I had a BBB trio. One hen was the dominant one of the group. When the tom got old enough and big enough they had an all out fight. It took them 3 days to finally settle that the tom was now the boss.

Another hen I had would always pick a fight with the tom before she would let him breed her.

One thing that will compound an issue is having a see through fence between them. It gives both parties extra bravery from the protection the fence gives them.

No one really knows what goes on in tiny bird brains.

I had a BBB trio. One hen was the dominant one of the group. When the tom got old enough and big enough they had an all out fight. It took them 3 days to finally settle that the tom was now the boss.
Makes sense, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom