Tom has left gashes in my hen...advice needed.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by DeannaOR, Feb 6, 2013.

1. DeannaOR

DeannaOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Colton, Oregon
    I have a pair of Royal Palms, the tom has started mating the hen within the last couple weeks. I noticed her acting rather solitary yesterday which is not like her at all. Checked her out and found gashes (deep ones) under each wing. I am sure this happened when the male is mating her and holding on. I have separated her and cleaned/treated her wounds. My questions are...is this common? Is he being too rough? Should I be trimming his nails? Putting a turkey saddle on her? I've never seen a turkey saddle for sale or seen pictures of one being used, although I have used a couple for my chickens. Advice appreciated.

2. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    Trim his spurs and give her time to heal. Watch her for infection and use an antibiotic ointment on her wounds. I started a thread on how do I trim my turkey's spurs and got some very good advice. You might want to take a look? Also turkey's are not one size fits all, so I don;t advise anyone to buy these apron. If you can sew, then you could custom fit your turkey and use a heavy denim material, then I would say, "GO FOR IT" ![​IMG]

3. DeannaOR

Apr 19, 2012
    Colton, Oregon
    Could you post a link to that thread?

4. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    I've had this happen with my BBWs. I just clean it up, trim any loose skin that will die, spray them with bluekote and then take an old tshirt of my sons and put it on her. I tie a knot on the back so it doesn't sag and trip her or collect poop. On some occasions I trim off the sleeves in order to get the wings through or to prevent chaffing.

On very rare occasions I've had to do a few stitches, but I find that if you can't keep it covered and moist it's best to let it heal naturally.

I hope she's doing better. As others stated the trimming will help. Good luck.

5. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
  6. DeannaOR

Apr 19, 2012
    Colton, Oregon
    Thanks for the link =)

She is healing very nicely..Vetericyn is amazing stuff! I am ordering her a saddle and will figure out how to trim his spurs. I know how to do nails...the spurs make me nervous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by